Book 1: Water | 33 | Allies? I

Start from the beginning

One would think that a battle was about to happen with the serious expression the red-eyed boy had, but...

"Hehe! Hey! Stop that!" ...That thought was quickly dashed when he ruffled the younger child's ashy-gray hair.

The boy quickly fixed his hair back. "Have you been well, Big Brother Wǔ?" The child said. To this, the older boy nodded. "Your undercover work isn't too hard on you, is it?"

The older boy, now known as "Wǔ", frowned, but he shook his head.

"The Fire Nation still disgusts you to the point you want to vomit at the sight of them?"

To this, he nodded.

"Yeah, I get it. They suck."

Another nod.

He... wasn't one for many words, was he?

Neither of them seemed to mind that, though. Rather, the child could read his intentions without even needing him to speak. "Where's Big Brother Liù (Leo)? I have something huge to report today!" The younger of the two asked.

To his question, the red-eyed youth pointed to an alleyway. At first, the child was confused, before it transformed into happiness.

Walking out of the darkness was the third person they were meeting with. He was a tall young man. He had a naturally tanned skin tone, and a scar on his right cheek. Long, raven-black hair framed his face. His crystal blue eyes were serious for one moment before softening at the sight of the two boys.

"Hello, Little Qī (Chi)." He turned to the other, "Little Wǔ, I'm glad you're well."

The young man nodded, before motioning to Qī, who was eager to spill what he'd seen.

"Oh, something good to report, little one?"

"Yeah! I saw a blessed one!"

Both of the older boys' eyes widened like sauce plates. Liù took the child by his shoulders, "Are you sure, Qī? This is a serious matter."

"Yep! My eyes didn't lie. He had the aura and everything. The triplets description of him was spot on." The child took on a more serious tone, "He's definitely one. Doesn't that mean they might appear again?"

Wǔ, the quiet one, nodded solemnly. He turned to the eldest of them, Liù understanding what he hadn't said, "Yes, you're right. We must let Leader know this information."

He took out a little container of ink and a small sliver of paper. His finger flicked, and a drop of ink lifted from the bottle. Waves of his finger moved the ink, and his message was written onto the paper.

Liù was a waterbender, a very good one.

"There, that should do it." Putting his fingers to his mouth, he does a distinct birdcall. Not a moment after, a small sparrowkeet fluttered its way to him. He rolled the message up, putting it within the small container on its leg.

"Go." With that, he lifted his arm, and the bird took off into the sky.

"What are we going to do?" Qī asked. He was nervous. If they were so sure, that could only mean that... Things were going to begin changing, and not for the better.

It was then that Wǔ made his opinion known. He didn't say a word, he didn't have to. There, upon his palm was a small ball of fire. Determination danced in his eyes as he crushed it to embers. Taking their hands into his warmer ones, he looked to his adoptive brothers, and they shared his mindset.

"That's right, Wǔ." Liù smiled, "Whatever happens, we'll face it together."

"Yeah! We'll protect the blessed one from them, too. Together! Thanks for the encouragement, Big Brother Wǔ."