Chapter 30

Never play poker with the Devil, he doesn't play fair.....

From the moment life was created and the first human reared up and took their first awkward, clumsy stumbled steps, there has been an unspoken game played, this game has trickled slowly over time.

Humans were and are always blissfully unaware, just like children watching a puppet show, innocently entertained it never dawns on them, who is behind the scenes working those puppets to sing and dance.

It's really quite simple, to have light you must have dark, there can not be good without evil, there can't be God without the Devil. While both are necessary for the balance of life, there has always been a hidden battle behind the scenes for the souls of the humans, a power struggle.

God created a religion which was dispersed in many different forms, humans throughout time have vastly changed the original text to bend and fold to their will. They've continuously quarrelled and fought, many times to the death, with the overwhelming need to prove which religion is the true religion, unaware they are all different versions of the same story.

For most to comprehend there is more than what they can see and feel it is beyond the comprehension of their naive understanding. This blindness is what the Devil preys on, he uses our blissful ignorance against us to gently sway us in his direction, so we can unwittingly follow him along his path.

But like all games there are rules; every human is born with a pure soul, how they choose to evolve their soul is entirely up to them, that takes us to the second rule every human has free will - we have the ability to choose our own path.

These rules were put in place by God to protect humans, to give them a fighting chance but the Devil just saw them as a challenge.

Amongst these rules was the grey area - this grey area was witches. They did not fall under human laws as they were born of magic - they weren't enlightened by the holy light or riddled with the ungodliness of sin, so they never fell in either bracket - they wavered in the middle like the ocean between two separate lands. This intrigued the Devil, he knew to have these magical people on his side would give him the edge and ability to overrule God on Earth.

Witches are people of magic, it is formed from the depths of Earth within its womb, magic is woven into their souls and DNA from conception, like a tiny seed that grows and blossoms with puberty, they have no alliance with anyone other than their coven, contrary to what has been said about them in the past.

To tempt a human to sin was easy, they are simple beasts with simple wants and needs - money, lust or power, dangle the right desire in front of a human and you will have them doing your mindless bidding and blindly following you off the edge of a cliff if you so wish.

Witches, unlike humans, weren't enticed by the Devil's false promises, they knew the power they possessed within them and the strength they held being part of their coven, when they united they were a force to be reckoned with. God had the heavens, Devil had Hell but the witches had the Earth and all the natural elements that bless this planet.

The harder it was to lure them, the more the Devil wanted to possess them and if he couldn't have them - then no one would.

So deep within the belly of Hell he plotted and schemed, he patiently waited, he watched until the perfect opportunity would present itself.

This moment presented itself in the form of a broken-hearted young witch who had just lost her mother - Evelyn unknowingly had distanced herself from the sanctuary of the coven because it reminded her too much of what she had lost. She was a little lamb that had strayed from her flock, the Devil like a wolf watched on eagerly for the perfect moment to pounce.

When she called to him, he didn't hesitate to arrive, he knew a moment like this was far and far between.

The Devil is a trickster, the master manipulator, he will tell what you want to hear and promise you the world but he does nothing unless it will benefit him.

Her wants were simple; eternal life and unfading beauty, so that her life would never be cut short like her mother's and power that overflowed so she would never have to kneel to any man ever again.

What the silly girl never realised, is that she already was more powerful than most and even more so when reunited with her coven.

She assumed her payment for his generosity was to do his bidding, she had no idea she was simply a pawn in his long game.

What he really wanted was her first born, a daughter born of magic with a pure soul sacrificed to the fire, so she could be reborn from the flames of Hell. She would be both witch and fire - from the pits of purgatory, she'd be an unstoppable force that would bring a reign of terror to mankind and witches.

When her time was present to be reincarnated and rise up, she would be born to eternally wear the red mark upon her face as a reminder of her past and a signal of who she was to become.

Since her birth he watched her like a proud father from afar, he watched as the little embers grew stronger and stronger within her. Any distraction was removed from her path; her parents, her grandmother, he couldn't have these humans stopping her fulfil her destiny. He hoped to completely isolate her, break her soul so that he could have her all to himself.

The time was nearing for his precious Phoenix to finally step into the darkness and be reunited with him until fate decided to derail all his hard work with her chance meeting on that fateful night with Lola.

Once in the safe embrace of the coven, he was unable to attain her but he wasn't one to give up and not to have a backup plan - once again Evelyn was of use, unbeknownst to her. She was so distracted with the task of removing the sisters she'd previously betrayed and had killed, that she had no idea she was simply removing them for him, so he would finally be able to get to Phoenix.

Phoenix was destined to sway the scales in his favour in his eternal game with God, she would be by his side - even if he had killed every witch that walked upon this godforsaken planet to get to her.