Chapter 13

Evelyn made her payment to The Devil .....

As soon as I close my eyes to sleep next to my snoring husband, I'm instantly back there in that god forsaken place, back where it all started, the smell of pig shit stinging my eyes as I muck out their pen, how I hate these beastly animals, with ...

As soon as I close my eyes to sleep next to my snoring husband, I'm instantly back there in that god forsaken place, back where it all started, the smell of pig shit stinging my eyes as I muck out their pen, how I hate these beastly animals, with their foul stench and revolting noises.

This is my job on my family farm, bequeathed to me by my retched step-mother, she told my father it would build character but I know she only put me out here to prove a point - she's now in charge.

My step brothers love to tease me as I work "ohh ladyship of the sty" they call out "how is your kingdom of shit today", I sling a shovel of steaming shit in the morons direction but they simply laugh - they didn't inherit their mother's cunning disposition, they are hapless fools, who should have been drowned at birth.

My only moment of peace from this hellish existence is when I slink off to meet my blood sisters by our tree.

My mother, before she died, was the head of our coven, blood sisters.

From birth she taught me the ways of magic, she was a gifted witch who was respected throughout the land, she worshiped the earth and the elements, taught us all to be careful with our secrets and above all to only cast with a pure heart and never mix with the dark side.

Where did her Nobel behaviour get her.... six feet under, her husband re-marrying the town slag and her only child shovelling shit .... I'll be dammed if the same fate is passed on to me.

That's why when the moon had been full six months ago, I called out to the one, that all witches fear and god herself had cast out. I creep out whilst everyone is a sleep and I light a black candle made of wax and the bones of a black crow, I dance naked under our tree, I slaughtered my father's prized goat as tribute, then bath in his blood to prove my alliance.

I wait there until sunrise but he never appears, enraged I stormed home convinced that even Devil himself wanted nothing to do with me. I was to be condemned to this life.

Broken and disheartened, I bitterly accepted my fate, until the following month, when the moon was full and at its strongest he came a knocking.

As the darkness washes over our farm, then the rain began to fall as if intended to wash away all of humanity. Unable to sleep I watch on, praying everything would be taken away by a great flood, that I'd wake to carnage and chaos and laugh in their faces as they mourn the loss of this shitty hellhole.

My wonderful daydream is broken as I hear the sudden high pitch squeals, that pierce my brain from the pigs pen. They are not normally loud creatures just a revolting snort here and there, to hear them squeal like this is unheard off.

Curiosity creeps over me, what has terrified these mindless creatures. I sneak out in the beating rain, praying they'd all been devoured by a wild beast so I'll never have to muck out their disgusting pen again. As sly as a fox, I tread closer, excitement bubbling through my veins as I venture closer to the gates.