Chapter Six - [The Departure]

Thea had not seen her brother since he had stormed out the evening before and though the thought of that conversation frustrated her, his absence sent a rush of sadness through her as she stood in front of Captain Brayne, who had just knocked at the door.

"Good morning, Miss. Rhaanan," the tall man greeted, taking his hat off. "Judging by the sight of the luggage and your outfit, I think it's safe to presume that you have accepted General Killian's offer?"

The trip from Abureth to the Capital was about four and a half hours by train and so Thea decided that the best outfit choice would be something comfortable. Though Thea would have preferred to wear one of her many cotton dresses, since it was July and the weather was as hot as it could be, she thought that an outfit like that would be a little too casual for a train trip with the General of the Aiverian Army and the Deputy Secretary of Defense. So instead, she opted for a slightly fancier navy blue pleated skirt and white button down blouse which she tucked into the skirt. Though the fabric of the skirt was incredibly thick, the blouse was, thankfully, light.

Hopefully she got a window seat in the train.

She smiled at him, wringing her hands together. "Yes, it seems that that is what I've decided."

For the first time since she had met him, the Captain smiled warmly at her. "I am happy to hear that, and I'm sure the General will be quite happy as well. You won't regret this decision, I'm sure," he said. "Let me take your things."

Stepping aside, Thea let the soldier enter her home and grab the largest suitcase and walk out. Thea's father then let out a silent sigh, which Thea did not miss, before grabbing the other two smaller suitcases and walking out to assist the Aiverian soldier.

Thea then turned to her mother and grandmother.

As always Thea's mother looked incredibly worried, tears welling up in her eyes. Thea smiled at her mother and took her face in her hands. "I'll be fine Mama," she said. "And if anything goes wrong, I promise I will come right back home."

Her mother nodded slowly. "Call me as often as you can, do you understand?"

Thea chuckled. "Of course."

Then her grandmother came to her, pulling her into a warm, tight hug. Her grandmother was much shorter than Thea was, especially now since Thea had on her little heels, but her hugs were always incredibly loving nonetheless. "I know you will always make us proud," she said. "Just remember to keep your eyes open and don't ever allow yourself to be fooled." When Thea pulled away and looked at her grandmother, the woman looked back at her sternly. "Trust your instinct... if you think that your work is going to be used against our people... if it begins to bother you... come home," she said. "Money means nothing in the face of honour."

Thea nodded. "I understand."

After kissing her forehead and sharing a hug with her mother and then her father, Thea turned to the soldier.

"Are you sure you've got everything you need?"

She did a quick check in her hand bag as well as the extra satchel she carried over her shoulder and then nodded. "Pretty sure."

"Then we should be off," the Captain put his hat back on and nodded his head once more at Thea's family before turning around.

"Captain Brayne," her grandmother suddenly called.

The tall man turned to face her grandmother. "Ma'am.".

"I am certain that you are well aware of what our people go through in the Aiverian Capital... and I must make this clear," she started, "you are taking with you an incredibly intelligent, incredibly honorable and incredibly respectable young woman. I'm sure that General Killian picked her because he understood that himself, but I ask that you not forget the potential that this girl has and ensure that she is kept safe."