Chapter 1

Max

They are crowding round me laughing whilst kicking all over my body it seemed to go on for hours it probably did, I looked up at the silhouette of him standing there on the stairs with the light coming in from the hallway watching pleading with my eyes to please stop this but like all the other times he smirks and turns around and walks up the stairs closing the door bringing the darkness with it. They are going to kill me, this time they are definitely going to kill me, I curled further into a ball, trying not to scream that would egg them on to do it more, but the pain was everywhere, at some point they left laughing and joking as if they had been to the pub or to a ball game not trying to beat someone to death, telling me they would be back, i stayed on the floor listening to the foot steps disappearing,I uncurled myself and winced at the pain going through my whole body I tired to slow down my heartbeat and get my breathing under control before I hyperventilate, I don't heal like I use to, to much to heal to little time and not enough food, I slowly crawled over to the sports bag in the corner and looked inside, it's ok he is asleep, I needed to get out of here tonight,.

I slowly and painfully got up looked around the room that was my so called bedroom making sure I hadn't left anything that I might need later on, my whole life was in this sports bag, I was looking for something that would open the door or window, I have been locked down here for so long, I found what I think is a knife maybe not but it's dark and my eyesight is awful for a wolf that is. I slowly walked up stairs wincing every time I put weight on my leg, it was late everyone is asleep hopefully they won't hear anything, I get to the top and turn the knob and to my surprise it's open. Has it always been unlocked this whole time, no definitely not, they always made a point of locking it loudly, maybe they were so drunk this time they forgot, oh who cares I need to get out.

I tip toed through the hallway through the kitchen stocked full of food that I wasn't allowed to touch and out the back door, I had learnt the patrol schedule years ago and the Alpha was predictable and I knew there was a switch over shortly I needed to slip through then, I was completely naked, so I shifted into my wolf which amazed me that I could, which hurt a lot but nothing compared to the beating I just had and picked up my bag in my mouth and headed through the forest as silent as possible, if they caught me we were both dead, I knew I was bleeding I'm not sure how I'm still conscious let alone walking but I'm doing this for the baby in my bag, he needs a better life than this and I will die trying.

I got to the edge of the woods and crossed the river, it had taken me over 2 hours, if I was healthy it should have taken an hour tops, I was slow and I know I had left a blood trail, I followed the rivers edge for another hour when I heard the howls of my pack I knew at that moment I was dead so I took off running breaking my link with the pack and more howls were heard, I ran as fast as my broken body would let me through trees and bushes tripping over logs and roots not being the silent wolf I should have been, I slowed down every so often but never stopped, I needed to get through the rogue territory, I knew where I was heading I just wasn't sure they would take me, Alpha Kingsley was known to be scary, act on impulse and kill everything that steps onto his territory if threatened or so I was told but for some reason my brain was telling me to go there so that's what I'm doing I don't have anything else to live for apart from my baby and I need help.

I know I need to stop, my eyesight is getting worse, my steps are starting to faulter, but I will keep going I have to. I have no idea where I am, I'm just heading west, just west, keep going west. The sun has started to come up and is hurting my eyes so much, when I hear growls around me and I am surrounded by 6 wolves they come closer, I have no chance against them even if I has at 100% let alone a dead wolf walking, I put the bag down and collapse, I hear someone come closer to me but I can't open my eyes, I feel them shift, I nudge the bag forward "Save him for me".