Chapter 21: A Regretful Finale. (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

Estile stood, glass in her hand, "I know many of you are concerned. In your lifetimes you've never experienced a war like this, against people you once considered your allies." Her eyes glanced over Ren who had once been in the Church himself. The half-elven and beastkin man turned his eyes conflicted. "Regardless of the reason, we have always promised to protect the world and we'll continue to do that. Tonight may be the last time you see us in a while. So let's make it a good one."

A sudden cheers rose as Kyle stood and raised his cup high to the ceiling, "To the future!"

"To the future," the call echoed back and from there the night continued.

To say the least, it was an odd farewell. The lodge full of people was rowdy with chatter but all the while a stifling sad flow circled amongst them. Reminiscence of the past, the stories they shared, the experiences they had as they grew up, as they raised their children. It wasn't rare to see someone suddenly tear up, and though many of the children were too young to fully understand, they knew after tonight their lives would be different.

Estile sat in the garden overlooking the town nestled in the valley below. Unlike the city nights, the small town was almost covered in complete darkness and very few lights lit up the streets. Her attention however was directed back towards the lodge where her companions and family continued to chatter. Karen was drinking with Mori. The two got particularly wild when they drank, although they were keeping it in check. Then there was Ellen and Arvel who were entertaining the children. Next to Estile they were the most responsible parents. Kyle, Trent and Lav were talking to the adults. Even not being beside them she knew they were making sure they were all doing well and looking out for the future. Sephie was already asleep on the couch, she'd never been one to stay up late and preferred to sleep. Curled beside her were some of the children who had picked up her habits. Edgar was shoving his face in the kitchen, paired with some others they took to Arvel's cooking with delight. Finally there were Riften and Orpheus.... Estile held two gems in her hands, one clear and one black. Crafted by one of the children now grown up, they were two of an entire set to represent the Mercenaries. Each detailed to present their personalities. The two in her hand, were now without their owners.

She sighed, "I wonder if the twelve of us will ever be together again. You idiots really missed it." After a small pause she raised her voice, "It's alright, we can talk."

From the shadows Ren awkwardly ambled towards her, "Estile."

"You can call me mum here."

A clear conflict crossed his expression, "I... I don't deserve to. If-if I had noticed sooner- then maybe Riften and Orpheus would still be here."

"You can't blame yourself," Estile gently pulled him to sit beside her. "We were all fooled."

Ren gripped his hands together, "To be honest I still don't understand. When I first left the Evergarden and joined the Church, I thought I found somewhere that I could belong just as much as here. It was hard work but we did good."

"The Church of the Sleeping God did help a lot of people," Estile herself had to laugh. "Their doctrine was to equalise all the races, to bring the world to harmony. Most their members weren't even human."

"Exactly!" Ren agreed wholeheartedly. "Then why did they betray everyone? To go against everything we stood for? To kill so many people.... I don't understand. We're all my beliefs a lie?"

Estile wrapped him in a hug, "No, of course not. Karen, Lav, all of us. We don't know the whole truth yet but we have to see the facts as they are." She turned him to face her, "But trust me, we will find out why all this is happening and when we do, there will be a reason."

"But at what cost?" he stared at Estile filled with regret. "You said it yourself. We may never see you again."

"It's not like we won't try to make it back, but our priority is still all of you, the world." Estile stood and smiled, "We've been doing this for much longer than a lot of people could imagine. It comes with the job, but I can say- we can all say, with certainty, we have never regretted acting out. Just like it has been before and will be," her smile turned to a confident grin, "we'll be there."

For a moment Ren could only stare at her and slowly infected by her confidence he laughed, "So many years and you still make me feel like a child. Good luck out there. We'll be praying for your success."

"Before that, how about we get one last drink," she began to make her way back inside. "After all now that you're not part of the Church, it's fine if you get a bit tipsy right?" There was no right to refuse as Ren followed her.