┏°⌜ 039: The symbol of freedom

Start from the beginning

The bad thing about this is that you don't know what it's about, but obviously it has something to do with you.

Floch closed the door and also stood beside you with his arms crossed.

"Hello Y/n! "
Armin smiled warmly at you, it's probably obvious that you were nervous and he wanted to lighten the mood

You smiled back
"...Good morning Armin"
Not knowing what is going on here is the worst feeling there is but you will probably find out sooner or later.

While Hanji was talking with Armin about something you looked at Eren for a short time.
He was also looking at you, but his expression seemed uncertain. It's neither happy, sad nor angry, it's as if he was thinking about something.

Then you look at Mikasa, Jean and Connie. You could literally see that they were analyzing you. Your body tension was stiff and you tried to sit up straight on the chair.
All these looks were uncomfortable, this uncertainty what the reason for all this is and what is going on here was eating you up from the inside.

"Alriiiight soooo... what exactly is going on here?" You gave everyone a nervous look and cleared your throat

Hanji looked at you with an awkward laugh

"Oh! Right sorry!" She massaged her neck and looked at Eren for a second. When Eren blankly nodded, she looked back at you

"Well y/n... I'll keep it short: you will become the symbol of freedom."

You looked at her briefly without saying anything with a questioning look.
You hoped it was a joke at first, but when you realized that she was serious you knit your brows together
"I... what?"

Mikasa monotonously replied: "The symbol of freedom. In times like these the citizens of this island need hope, something that gives them strength and courage."

Your heart beats faster and you got nervous.
"But... isn't that already Eren?"
Your voice was trembling.

"No. He is the Devil of Paradis. The boy who sought freedom."
Floch blankly answered.

You look down at the ground and had to think for a second. You- the symbol of freedom?

Hanji bent down slightly and put her hand on yours
"Of course we don't wanna force you to do this, but the people on this island need hope. You are the one who can save this island and you come from a world with freedom.
Without you it would probably end like in the manga, 80% of humanity would die."

Suddenly you remembered Eren's words:
'ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏʟᴅ ᴍᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪᴛ's ʏᴏᴜ.
ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʙᴇ ᴛʜᴇ sᴏʟᴜᴛɪᴏɴ, ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʙᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴇɴᴅ ᴛʜɪs ᴡᴀʀ.'

Her grip on your hand tightens and she looked at you with a determined look.
"I know we ask a lot of you and actually there is no reason for you and no added value if you help us, but- will you become our symbol of freedom? Will you stand by our side until the end?"

You were speechless and looked at her with big eyes. She was dead serious.
But after hearing 'will you stand by our side until the end?', you realized something.
Like Hanji said, you don't have to save this world. It brings you neither added value, nor does it have to interest you- it's not your world and your home after all.
But being the symbol of freedom would be like giving the citizens of this island a guarantee that you will stay and help- a promise that you won't let them down.

It's like being in a religion - people believe in a god and this gives them hope, joy and security in difficult times.

But are you able to take on such a responsibility?

'ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʙᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴇɴᴅ ᴛʜɪs ᴡᴀʀ.'

After you stared intensely at the ground for a while and were deep in thoughts, you took a deep breath and looked at everyone suspiciously
"But... how is all this supposed to work?"

After a long silence, Eren took a step closer to you.
"In two days we will hold a ceremony and announce to the public the plan to bring all eldia into your world.
There we will introduce you- the person who comes from the other world, the person who will help the Eldia survive."

Armin added:
"However, many questions will arise- including why you want to help us in the first place. There would be rumors that you could abandon the Eldia as this is not your world, or possibly that you could work with Marley. It is understandable that people become suspicious and skeptical in such a situation."

Hanji straightened her glasses and looked at you with a weak smile
"That's why we thought about making a symbol out of you, so you don't look like a 'simple person'. Something like a goddess or a sign that you are an integral part of the plan. Something people can rely on."

To be honest you were very afraid of it. Being a symbol of freedom also means making a promise that Eren's plan will work. But Hanji was right. people need hope.
Hesitantly and with a lot of courage you answered what you think is the right answer
"Alright... I will do it."