Ch 85: Fire and Ice

Stefan lunged so quickly at Jacob, who moved out of the way just in time. The large copper wolf stared at me and growled, an action I could sense meant something along the lines of "run" or "hide" because I certainly couldn't face off against Stefan. The last thing I was sure Jacob wanted was for me to catch the vampires attention. Once his anger ceased to blind him, he would sooner or later recognize what he truly wanted was my blood on his hands rather than Jacob's.

I easily climbed my way up one of the trees, hiding in the branches. I felt angry and helpless, watching as the person I loved risked his life for me. I never wanted to put him or anyone else in that position. It was the whole reason I had stayed with Aro for a decade! And now I was living my worst nightmare.

Jacob pounced,  clawing at Stefan's marble chest, nearly as white as the glistening snow around him. Stefan was knocked back, only further enraging him. He stood and ducked before Jacob could finish him, his jaws inches from clasping around Stefan's neck. Stefan grabbed Jacob's tail and hurled him into a nearby tree, shaking what felt like the whole forest. I screamed for Jacob, causing Stefan's gaze to turn upwards, meeting my eyes and snarling to himself. Jacob was struggling, whimpering like an injured pup, trying to get himself back upright to protect me. But I knew what Stefan wanted. I couldn't let him kill Jacob, at least not without taking me with him.

Stefan shook the base of my tree. I held on as hard as I could, clutching it so hard I thought I would crack the trunk in half myself. Eventually, his strength superseded mine, and I plummeted to the cold hard ground. If it weren't for my vampire half, I probably would have broken every limb in my body considering how high up I was. I was certain I'd broken my wrist and hit my head very hard on something sharp. I could feel the blood trickling down my face, causing me to feel faint. I looked up, holding myself on all fours, and saw Stefan's evil red eyes peering down at me with a laugh.

"You stupid girl," he chuckled, leaning down and grasping me by the throat. I couldn't breath, and although I could hold it for longer than most people, eventually I would need some oxygen or suffocate. I instinctively clawed at his hand to no avail. It was a futile move and consciously I knew that, but instinct was powerful and the adrenaline kicked in. Suddenly, before he decided to finished me off, I mustered up all my strength and placed both hands on his.

I showed him a vision. He'c clearly forgotten in his blood lust that I could affect his mind with a touch. I needed to buy Jacob some time. I couldn't show him anything that would scare him, and certainly nothing sentimental. None of that would work. I had to distract him with the one thing I was sure could hold a vampires attention. I showed him snippets of blood flowing out of veins, of people laying on the ground. Blood pooling underneath them, a pinprick allowing the dark crimson liquid to be squeezed out onto the skin of someone's finger. He licked his lips and the pupils of his eyes grew so wide only a sliver of scarlet was visible. He was hungry and I had made him even more ravenous. To my shock, he lunched forward and sunk his teeth into my neck.

I screamed louder than I'd ever done before. My throat went horse and with each pint of blood that he drained from my neck, I could feel myself falling into unconsciousness. I assumed that this was it. I shouldn't fight it anymore and he was going to go over and snap Jacob's neck the second he was done with me. Why struggle? I resolved to die with dignity, and gave into my fate, when suddenly, the pain stopped.

A set of sharp teeth, came down upon Stefan's head, ripping it from his shoulders. I sunk to my knees, unable to prob myself up. Jacob had done it! I was in shock, but unable to celebrate his victory at the sight of all the blood around me. My blood. Blood had never bothered me until that moment, and seeing it all staining and melting the white snow underneath me made my head light. The smell penetrating my nostrils and the last thing I saw was Jacob's naked human form, rushing to my side and crying out my name.