Chapter 29 - Happy days

Now they were back to their home. The stay in Pakistan was one of the most memorable one, specially for Haneen. Aaban was much closer to her now. He started freely expressing whatever he felt in front of her. He wasn't shy at all in front of her. Haneen on the other hand, still felt awkward at their close contacts. She could never get used to his touches. Everytime, he was near her, it felt like the first time. She was as nervous as she was on the day of their Nikkah. Nevertheless, she was happy at the progress they had made and she was hopeful for the future.

As she remembered those moments, she couldn't help the blush on her face. She couldn't believe it but it was very much real.

The trip had brought back the old, cheerful and chirpy Haneen. Just seeing her like that made Aaban's heart full. This was all he ever wanted - to make his Haneen happy.

A few months earlier, he believed that he didn't deserve her but seeing her efforts and all the hard work she put in to stay with him at all times made him believe that she was worth it. She stood by him at all times. It also made him believe that he deserved happiness in his life. He didn't need much to be happy. Haneen's presence beside him was enough for him. He had vowed to himself to never make her cry again and give her all the happiness that she deserved.

It was a Saturday night. Aaban had told her to get ready for a party that they were supposed to attend together. He was busy working on something when she came and settled on the couch in front of him.

"Baat sunen?" [Listen.] She spoke politely, grabbing his attention.

"Yeah?" He asked looking at her for a brief moment and continued typing on his laptop with a smile on his face. He always loved when she talked to him in Urdu. He understood the language but couldn't speak it fluently.

"What kind of dinner party is it?" She fiddled with her fingers.

"Why?" He asked closing the lid of his laptop and scooting closer to her on the couch, untangling her hands.

"I don't know what to wear." She told him honestly.

He took her hand in his and rubbed circles with his thumb on the back of her hand. A naughty lock of her hair was dangling beside her face. He tucked her hair behind her ear as she kept looking to the ground. He pulled her chin up by placing his thumb and forefinger under her chin.

"You always look beautiful, Haneen. No matter what you wear." He spoke in a low voice making her cheeks immediately turn a brighter shade of pink.

"Acha na. Tang nahi karen. [Okay, don't tease me now.] I am serious." She spoke with an annoyed smile on her face.

"I am also serious, darling." He smirked, making her more nervous.

"Aaban, please na." She whined.

"Okay, okay. Let me see." He told her as she brought out the dresses.

He rejected all of them one by one, shaking his head in disappointment.

"There's nothing more then." She huffed and settled back on the bed.

"Then let's go and buy one for my darling."

"First, stop calling me that." She whispered, totally embarrassed and hiding her smile.

"No, darling." He grinned as he stroked her rosy cheeks. "I know you love it."

"Aaban, this is not the time for jokes." She whined again. "I have so much work to do and I can't even decide what to wear."

"Okay. Let me help you decide then." He went to the wardrobe and pointed out one of the dresses.

"This. Red and black one." He grinned.

Haneen had intentionally left it out previously because she felt awkward in that and he selected that only.

"But this is too uncomfortable." She spoke.

"Okay then, wear whatever you are comfortable with. I personally would have loved it if you wore that." He smirked.

"Okay."

He smirked at her and she looked down smiling to herself. He sat beside her and wrapped his arms around her shoulders and pecked her pink cheeks before she literally ran downstairs.

At night, she got ready in that dress only and as she stepped out of the wardrobe, he took a moment to take in her beauty and admire her fully.

"Stop staring like that. It's embarrassing." She spoke, looking down.

"Why is it embarrassing? Why can't a husband look at his wife specially when the wife is looking so beautiful all the freaking time?" He asked faking hurt.

"I didn't know you were such a drama queen." She giggled. "I am sure people from the office would be amused to see this side of yours."

"All wives are the same. Can't even take compliments properly." He spoke, annoyed.

"And how many wives do you have exactly? So much experience talking." She raised her brow at him.

"I meant in some other way. One is enough for me. She is too much to handle alone."

"How so?" She stepped closer to him. Now it was her turn to make him nervous.

"Let's go." He quickly grabbed her hand and pulled her with him as she giggled.

"The great Mr. Aaban Rehman Khan is scared of his wife." She teased him as they drove towards the location.

"Haneen." He ground his teeth.

"What, sir?" She giggled.

"You are being naughty. Don't blame me afterwards then?"

"What are you gonna do?" She asked.

He looked at her with a smirk.

"Okay." She made a puppy face at him and looked out of the window.

"Hey, I was just kidding. You can tease me all you want."

"But I don't want to now."

"Why? Are you scared?"

"I am not scared of you." She snapped.

"Well, that's true."

They reached the venue and both of them walked inside, hand in hand. One of the ladies handed her the bouquet and she smiled. The party was arranged for them as a wedding gift by the office employees. She looked at him surprised. He didn't even let her have a clue about this. She greeted everyone there formally as his wife. It was a memorable night for them.