Chapter 15 - Brother's wedding

Following that day, it had become a routine for Aaban to come home late. He lied about having lots of work just so he didn't have to face her. He came home at dinner time when she was tired and preferred to sleep instead of wasting her energies on someone who didn't care much about her.

That night, when she was picking up her prayer mat, she turned to him.

"Can I leave on Friday for Bhai's [brother's] wedding?" She asked.

"To stay there?" He asked. She nodded.

"How many days."

"Five."

"Okay."

"Can you drop me?"

"I will be busy. Go with the driver."

Sighing, she laid down, pulling up her duvet. She knew his answer but still there was a flicker of hope in her heart when it came to her family. Aaban on the other hand, had a way of crushing her every hope and dream just like that.

The next night, Aaban again came home at 12 in the midnight and found Haneen waiting for him at the dinner table.

She looked at him briefly and he looked like he was under a lot of stress, rubbing his temples continuously. She wanted to ask him what was wrong but she was too scared. She knew he was going to scold her again if she interfered in his business.

As he reached near her and their eyes met, Aaban wanted to tell her everything but his mind wasn't cooperating. It never did. His heart told him time and again to tell her but his mind was too powerful to let the heart win.

"I told you that day itself that don't wait for me at the dinner." He spoke, tired and exhausted by this constant unsettling feeling.

"I am sorry. I can't do this." She stared at him blankly.

"You may be my wife in the eyes of the world but I don't consider you to be doing that role in front of me neither I expect anything from you."

"Thanks for reminding me that I dont even hold a tiny bit of value in your life." She spoke as her tears made their way out and she went to her room, leaving a guilty Aaban standing cluelessly.

The next morning, she had left before he even woke up. He felt a little disappointed not seeing her sleeping beside him but shrugged it off.

Haneen on the other hand was so glad to be back where she belonged. She wholeheartedly participated in all the preparations of the wedding because two of the most dear people to her were getting married. Pushing away all the negative thoughts, she decided to focus on being happy and make it one of the most memorable moments of her life.

Yousaf and Hana had mutually decided not to go for a lavish wedding. They just wanted a simple and cozy home wedding with elegant decor and close family members. Apparently, they both wanted to spend money on travelling together instead of spending so much on a mere wedding. Everyone was okay with their decision and so there were not much preparations to be done.

Before the wedding night, Hana had caught hold of Haneen and wanted her to stay with her as her sister instead of Yousaf's. Haneen had agreed since Hana had no sister so she always considered Haneen one. They changed and were discussing stuff about how quickly they grew up and were now married women.

"So how's jeeju? [brother in law] Did you guys do the deed yet?" Hana smirked at her.

"Shut up, Hana." She gasped in horror.

"What? He's your husband." She shrugged. "Don't tell me you haven't done it. It's been a month, Hanie."

She shook her head in embarrassment. "I am scared."