Chapter 6 - A new deal

Haneen's mother herself prayed this time and it seemed like a good sign. She called Mrs. Rehman to let her know. She was so happy to hear that.

"You can come this Saturday and bring your son along."

She had told her. Haneen knew of all the proceedings but she didn't know who that son was. She was just going with the flow. It was Saturday. Her mother had told her to cook some dishes along with her. Haneen did as she was told but she told her mother that she would be in her room all the while because she didn't want to be presented like a decoration piece for the family to choose her. Her mother had agreed. This was the worst part of South Asian wedding culture. You try your best to impress the other family, brushing all the short comings under the mat. It looks all like unicorns and rainbows and when you finally start living with the person, you realize that you have been deceived by what appeared in front of you only.

°°°°°°

Aaban and his family arrived in the evening and both the families were talking over the tea.

"Beta, [Son] have some. Ye hamari beti Haneen ne banaye hain." [Our daughter Haneen made these.]

Hearing the name, the cookie dropped from his hand as he stared at his mother in shock.

What the actual heck!!

His mother pretended to be innocent. However, this was not a place for arguments, so he again picked up the cookie, saying a quick sorry and stayed quiet for rest of the time. He couldn't believe that his mother was getting him married to the girl who had the guts to come to his office and yell at him. But things were far too gone now.

As the families bid goodbye to each other, Aaban settled in the car and the first thing he said to his mother was,

"Ammi, [Mother] you can't be serious with Haneen?"

"I very much am."

"But why out of all the girls you decided for Haneen? For God's sake, Ammi. She's my employee. I know her better."

"Aaban, wo itni pyari bachi hai." [Aaban she's such a sweet girl.]

"Ammi, [Mother] you don't know her like I do."

"And what do you know about her? I have seen her. She's so loving, so caring and so respectful of elders. Her voice is so soft. I just love her."

"Respectful?" Aaban chuckled. "She is just pretending in front of you. Do you know what she did at the office?"

"What?" His mother was curious now.

"She was late for the meeting and when I told her that she was fired, she had the audacity to come to my office and yell at me for being unfair to her and everyone else."

His mother chuckled hearing his words. "A perfect match, then. You two will compliment each other so well."

"Ammi, [Mother] It's not the time for jokes. We still have time. You can back off politely."

"No Aaban. I went to them. They didn't come to me. I won't back off. You have to trust me on this. She will prove to be the best choice. I just know it."

"But?"

"No buts. Focus on the road ahead."

"You chose a bumpy one for me." He sighed and drove silently, immersed in deep thoughts.

What was going to happen next? How would everyone at the office going to react to this news. This new deal. Nobody had the slightest idea about it.

Haneen was sitting in her room when Yousaf entered.

"Hanie. Are you okay?" He asked, genuinely concerned about her.

"Ji bhai." [Yes, brother.]

"They agreed, you know." He spoke as he settled beside her and clasped his hand with hers, squeezing it tightly.

"Uhm." She hummed placing her head on his shoulder.

"Don't you want to know about the guy?"

"No."

"Haneen, you have to spend your whole life with him. You deserve to have a say na."

"Bhai. [Brother] I know our parents won't make a bad decision for us."

"It's not about a bad decision. But your opinion matters, my love. Here, have a look."

He opened his picture. Haneen's eyes widened in shock, her mouth agape as she stood up holding the phone in her hands.

"ARK!!" were the only words that left her mouth.

"What happened?" Her brother asked her, worriedly.

"He's my boss, bhai. [Brother] What's wrong with you guys?"

He chuckled. "I know, bacha." [child]

"No, you don't. I work for him. He's my boss. How can I get married to my boss? Are you guys in your senses?"

"Haneen, he's a good man. I have talked to him and warned him as well."

"What warning?"

"That even if a single drop falls down from my baby sister's eyes because of him, I will haunt him till his last breath."

"Bhai." [Brother] She whined.

"kya hogya, Hanie? [What's wrong?] He's your boss. So what? A boss also needs to get married na. It's nothing new."

"But you don't know him that well."

"Is there something I should know?"

She thought for a while.

"No, but still. What will everyone else say?"

"Nothing. Just that you are the new boss lady at ARK's" He chuckled.

"This isn't a joke." She was annoyed at him.

"You should have thought about this earlier before being such a goody two shoes and saying that 'I'll do whatever you guys decide.'" He mimicked her. "Now is not the time. Your engagement has been fixed."

She sat down, disappointed.

"Hanie, which fool in 21st century doesn't want to see what their potential husband-to-be looks like?" He asked her.

"A clown named Haneen." She replied sadly. She just pranked herself.

"Bhai?" [Brother] She suddenly realized something. "Does he know who he's getting married to?"

"I don't think he knew as well." He chuckled. "You should have seen his reaction when Mom said that Haneen made the cookies. The cookie literally dropped down from his hand and he looked at his mother with the same shock."

"Ya Allahhh!" She face-palmed herself. "What have you guys gotten me into?"

"Don't blame me." He raised his hands in surrender.

"How am I going to face him in office now? How am I supposed to keep a straight face in front of him?"

"Why? Will you be blushing?" He joked and she smacked him with a pillow. "Okay seriously, Haneen. He is a good boy."

"I don't know why you guys keep saying it." She held her head, thinking of the worst possible scenarios at the office the day after tomorrow.