Chapter 23

Aurora stood with her back against Jackson as he had his arms wrapped around her waist as they watched the rest of them playing softball. Aurora kisses Jackson as he smiles kissing her back.

"Rory stop playing tonsil tennis with Avery and come hit the ball." Derek called out to her as everyone turned to the couple as Aurora glares at him.

"Oh but it's okay for sloan to kiss the opponent." Aurora says as they all looked at Mark who was kissing a surgeon on the opposite team.

Derek rolled his eyes as he called out to mark before setting up to throw the ball at Aurora. Aurora caught Alex's eye as she smiled at him slightly as Derek threw the ball at her at she batted it far out the field.

Aurora has got a home run easily as she high fives Lexie on her way past her and pecks Jackson on the lips as he smiles at her. "Didn't know you could play like that?" Jackson says as Aurora looks at him.

"I can't let you know everything about me Avery or we'd be a very boring couple by now." Aurora says to him as he laughs at her.
~
"Let's see. The patient just flew in from San Francisco.She has a hypothalamic hamartoma.What do you know?" Derek says as he looks at Aurora.

"H.H. tumors are slow-growing,noncancerous.
They sit in the hypothalamus..." Aurora says as they entered the patients room to see she is seizing.

"Ms. Bayer, can I help you?" Derek says as the mother refuses.

"No, it's best if I just hold her.It's okay, sweetheart." Ms Bayer says to her daughter as she holds her.

"How long has she been seizing?" Derek asks her.

"Well, this is the fourth one today.Ah.It's getting worse,so please tell me you can help her." Her mother asks as Aurora sets up the scans.

"It's, uh, it's tricky.Charissa's tumor is eccentric.It off to one side more than the other.Protocol is a subfrontal approach from here, but I'd never get it all." Derek says as Aurora watches on.

"Well, the surgeon in San Francisco said that even if you just got a little bit of it,the symptoms wouldn't be as bad." She says to Derek as he looks at her.

"For now, um, until it grows back." Derek tells her.

"Well, we'll take any relief that we can get.I know the risks, and I've done my research.And you...you were successful on 87% of your surgeries last year.So we want the surgery and we want you to do it." She says looking at the pair as Derek looks at his patient and then at Rory.

"I'd like to try something else." Derek says to her.

"Excuse me?" Ms Bayer asks looking at him.

"I'd like to come in from here,from above.I think I'd have a much better visualisation and I think I could get it all." Derek says to her as Aurora looks at him slightly amazed.

"But none of the eight other neurosurgeons we talked to even suggested that." She tells him as Aurora looks at him.

"Well, that's because it's never been done before." Derek says to her.

"Well, what are the risks?" Her mother asks looking at both of the surgeons.

"Uh, well, you're passing between two hemispheres,
so there's a greater risk of injury,including short-term memory loss,um, stroke, and even death." Aurora tells her as Derek looks at the patient.

"No.I can't do that." Ms Bayer says to them.

"I understand. I really do.A subfrontal approach is
a very standard procedure.You could probably find another surgeon who's qualified to do that.Can I see the list of who you talked to?" Derek says to her.

"Uh... yes, but...I'd rather have you." She says to Derek.

"Dr. Samuelson is fantastic.I don't think you could
do better than him.It was very nice meeting you, Ms. Bayer, and I wish you the best of luck." He says as he walks out with Rory.
~
"I need a small." Lexie says as her and Aurora looked through the box of shirts.

"Oh, they're all larges." Henry tells her as the two look at each other.

"What?No. We can't be out of smalls already.I told them we needed an assortment of sizes.I... I was very clear on the phone." April says as Owen throws a shirt at mark and Jackson.

"Sweet.I'll look fantastic in this.And when you look good, you play good.Am I right, Avery?" Mark says to Jackson as he hold up his hand.

"You know it." Jackson says as he high fives him as Aurora looks at her boyfriend and then at Lexie.

"What the hell was that?" Aurora says trying to hold back her laughter.

"What?" Jackson says to her confused.

"What, are you guys pledging delta chi together?" Lexie says to him as Aurora bursts out laughing as Jackson rolls his eyes at her.

"No, Sloan's pretty cool, actually.He's, uh, been in such a good mood lately,he's letting me do half his procedures.He let me run the burn center last night." Jackson says as he kisses Auroras cheek before following after Mark.

"Neat." Aurora says sarcastically to Lexie as the two laugh walking out to find Derek.
~
Aurora sat on the bench as she took a sip from one of the beer bottles as she looked at Jackson as he was sat beside her. "This is why I stuck with cheerleading." Aurora says to him as he smiles at her.

"Softball weren't your thing but your that good at it?" Jackson says as Aurora shrugged her shoulders as she rested her head against his shoulder.

"It wasn't easy in high school for me or Alex we had to raise amber and Aaron as well as make sure mom was taking her meds. Some days it felt like we were stuck it partly why Alex is this way it's his defence mechanism. And part of the reason I don't really trust easily." Aurora says as Jackson wraps his arm round her pulling her into his chest.

"I've got you now." Jackson says to her as he kisses her head.
~
Aurora sat beside Alex as she handed him a bottle of beer as Jackson was talking with April. "Remind me of when we were younger and we'd take Aaron out to play at the park." Rory says as Alex takes a sip of the beer.

"Even though everything bad that has happened in our lives we've always had each other. I guess twins are sometime inseparable." Alex jokes as Aurora shoved him as she rests her head on his shoulder.