CH 40 Luke to the Rescue

Alex's POV:

After storming out of Christian's classroom. I called luke to pick me up. 

I can't believe what I admitted to. I was not cool, nor calm, nor collected. I was a fucking mess. Putting everything on the line for Christian. And I was so fearful of rejection or the lies he might return, that I just had to leave. 

He was changing me. He was making me act out of control. And I have never been out of control, ever. And this feeling of ambiguity was something I was sure would be the death of me.

*honk *honk

"Who's ready to partayyyyy!!!" I heard Luke exclaim, from his red convertible. 

"Its only 9 am." I said in a monotone voice, standing up from the front steps I was sitting on. 

I grabbed my hair tie from my wrist and pulled my hair back. Opening the passenger door, as I sat down. 

"What's with the straight hair and the— Holy shit, how are those not gone yet?" Luke asked, as he poked my neck, making me swat his hand away. 

I didn't have the energy to banter back. So I crossed my arms and slouched in the seat. Turning so I could look out the window. 

"What's wrong, you never miss school spontaneously since... well, ever." He said, pulling the car out of the school parking lot. 

"Yeah, well here's to changing." I said, pulling a stand of hair behind my ear, as the wind picked up. 

I felt him look at my profile, and then back onto the road.

"Coffee?" He asked.

"Coffee." I breathed out, as I slouched even more.

"Oh yeah, Luke to the rescue." He laughed, driving off faster...

_____________

"So you're telling me you said that all to him, in class?" He asked, as he took another sip of his blended coffee.

"Yeah." I said, rubbing my temples as I looked over at the beach. Letting the waves calm me down more and more.

"Please tell me no one was listening." I heard him say.

"Huh?" I asked, turning back to look at him. "Oh no, we were in his office."

"How do you know he's not willing to end things with Emma for you, though?" Luke asked me. 

"I don't." I breathed out. "But why would he? I'm his student, who's about to graduate and travel as much as I can. All while he has to go back to his real world life soon." I said, taking a sip of my iced coffee. 

I watched as Luke leaned back and started to laugh loudly. 

"What?" I asked, watching his pink face turn even more red as he laughed. 

"You? You're thinking that?" He laughed out leaning forward onto the table now. "You... out of everyone I know, has made crazier things happen." I rolled my eyes, and then looked back at the waves crashing onto the sand. "This is not as big as a deal as you think it is." He said, standing up from the table. 

I felt shock wash over me, as I stood up right after him. Following him down the side walk of the strip mall. 

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean? You're the one who got into my head, about him still being with Emma." I said, catching up to him. The both of us walking side by side. 

"I just didn't want him to hurt you. But it turns out you're beating yourself to that, before he even can. Plus, by the time you graduate and him going back to the real world, something between you two could genuinely happen. If you don't screw it up." Luke continued to laugh.