"What? He isn't your husband."

Suddenly, Trevor's attempts seemed so funny, I laughed. "Oh, my God! You're totally that geeky kid in movies that goes around asking out anyone without a d—"

"Nah. That hasn't stopped me."

My mouth dropped and my eyes grew wide. Despite how inappropriate, I couldn't abandon the opening. "Oh, so you and Julian...?"

"What? No!"

"Wow. Do Nancy and Julie know?"

"Nora, I was joking."

"Right..." Slowly, I nodded. I felt light inside, like I weighed nothing, and once again gave in to another drink, pouring the last of the cooler into my cup. It tasted so good, like refreshing juice that was slightly carbonated.

"I'm serious!"

I tried to remain expressionless until the count of ten, but Trevor's horrified face did me in. My shoulders began to shake, then I began to laugh.

"I—You..."

I laughed fully and began to back away, feeling Calin coming closer. "Oh, don't worry. Your secret is safe with me."

"But I don't... Hey!" Obviously just realizing I was leaving, Trevor stepped forward and I paused, not wanting him—or the explanation that would follow—to meet Calin. Not that it should matter. Calin had no reason to be jealous—we weren't dating, and Trevor had a girlfriend, even if I was pretty sure he truly did just ask me out—but I'd rather avoid any possible drama.

"What?"

"Are we going for lunch?"

"I thought it was coffee."

Trevor smiled. "I'm always hungry. So, are we going?"

"I don't know."

"You have to eat, right?"

"I'll think about it," I said, torn between never seeing Trevor again or learning everything I could. Trevor was right and talking at a party was like actually doing magic tricks like Jason had wanted me to do at Todd's luau. I didn't know if it would be about magic, per se, but I'd rather avoid the unknown.

"How will I know? Do you still have the same number?"

"No."

"Do you have mine?"

"Nope." I shook my head and took a step back, then another, and this time Trevor didn't move to follow. Finally, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Calin coming toward me. I waved goodbye to Trevor and said impulsively, "I'll be at Timmies at one tomorrow afternoon if it's a yes."

Turning my back, I hurried to meet Calin halfway, all the way telling myself I wasn't doing anything wrong. I wasn't dating Calin, and meeting Trevor definitely wasn't a date because he already had a girlfriend. Even if he didn't, Calin couldn't be jealous. Trevor, with his average build and plain brown hair, couldn't compare to Calin's more athletic stature, sun-streaked hair, and all-around charisma that seemed to suck you in until you couldn't help but like him.

Still, if I went, I didn't know if I'd say what I was up to until I returned after coffee.

"Calin!" As soon as I reached him, I took Calin's hand and started pulling him into the living room.

"I thought you wanted to leave?" Calin yelled, laughing as he allowed me to guide our way.

"Let's dance first!" I yelled. The bass of the music reverberated, making my legs feel tingly, and I swayed. I finished my drink as we went and set the cup on a side table.