Twenty Two

I laughed as Aloy was swept up in the dance then she yelped in surprise and fun as Beta clapped along. With the feast under way, it appeared everyone was enjoying themselves.

"Shaye." I looked at Zo then she sat next to me, her stomach much bigger than mine.

"I should offer you thanks, for what you did for Varl." She said and I smiled. After I had returned from the south with Aloy, Erend, and Kotallo, I told them I had something I needed to do before I could take my place in the Tenakth. They understood, but never questioned what it was. While Kotallo and Erend did our shelter, I took Varl's cloak and returned it to his mother in the Embrace. I told her of his many stories with the others, of Zo and his child, and of how he died to save the world. A woman that strong seemed as though she never wept, but that night she cried on my shoulder for hours.

"His mother wishes to see you, Zo, if you ever want to see his home." I said and she nodded, gripping my hand.

"You didn't have to do that for him, for us-"

"It's better they knew of the warrior he was, of how brave and strong he was, rather than remember him as he was when he was in the Embrace." I explained and she nodded.

"Thank you for that. I will go see them once my child is born and old enough." I nodded then she stood and left me alone again. I wasn't alone by choice, the others were all enjoying themselves as Kotallo spoke to Chief Hekarro about something that was apparently important. He claimed it couldn't wait.

"Commander, congratulations on your child." I smiled up at the woman then she left and I sighed as I set a hand on my stomach.

"Shaye." I jumped and looked up at Kotallo as he kneeled, brushing my hair back off my cheek.

"Kotallo, where did you go-"

"Come with me, it is my turn to surprise you." He whispered and I nodded, taking his hand and standing with him. As we left the main hall where Hekarro's throne was, we left the Grove entirely then he led me towards our shelter.

"Kotallo, what are we doing here?" I asked as he led me around it to the back.

"A gift for you, my love." He smiled and took me into the jungle.

"Where are we going?" I asked, but he didn't answer as we reached a nearby clearing. As he turned to me, I stared at the open space. Inside it was a large shelter, no doubt multiple levels with many rooms. It looked like part of it was from the Ancient Ones, but the other part was newer, made just recently. To the right of the shelter stood a pen with machines inside. Behind that, I could see an open farm. It wasn't a large one, but enough for me to practice what I grew up doing.

"Kotallo?" I breathed, looking at him.

"You once told me how, if you could have chosen, you'd have decided to be like your brother. You always loved growing the crops and being with the machines. This is our new home, Shaye, built just for you. Chief Hekarro had this built in secret, so I could surprise you, but he added the finishing touches today when he learned of our child." He explained and I smiled, looking at him and kissing him.

"I told you that months ago, Kotallo!" I breathed, shaking my head as I held the sides of his neck.

"I remember everything you tell me, Shaye. Every word, every passing comment, every joke, I remember it all." He said then looked at the house again,

"It seemed only right to build this house for you, for us." He said and looked at me, setting his hand on my stomach.

"It seemed right that our child learns more than only the ways of a warrior. I had hoped to show you the inside during the day-"

"Then we stay in the old shelter tonight, you can show me this one tomorrow." I promised and he nodded, taking my hand and leading me back to the feast. As we sat again, our companions welcomed us with cheers and I grinned widely as Beta and Aloy danced together. I watched as Beta was taken into the arms of another man as Erend took hold of the redhead. Watched Zo as she grinned and held her stomach, speaking with the many women here. As I looked around, I could see what we had done for the world coming to fruition.

"Chief Hekarro!" I went towards him then he turned to me as I grabbed his arm.

"May I speak with you?" I asked and he nodded, letting me lead the way further into the throne hall. As we got to the back of his throne, he turned to me and I softly smiled.

"What is it that you wished to speak of?" He asked me, looking confused as I set my hands on my stomach.

"I wanted to thank you, Chief. You didn't have to help my husband with the new shelter, or let him continue as a Marshal after he'd lost his arm. You could have retired him, or forsaken him, but you didn't. For that, I will forever owe you." I smiled, but he shook his head and reached forward to grab my shoulder.

"You owe me as much as the Champion owes me, Commander. Don't forget that you are just as strong as any of your friends, if not stronger. Your child is lucky to have such parents to raise them, I am nearly jealous of that child." He said, but I smiled as he let go and stepped away from me.

"Go, return to your husband and friends, enjoy tonight. It is for you, after all." He smirked and left me to go to his wife. I nodded then returned to my friends and Zo smiled as I sat between her and my husband.

"Everything alright?" He asked and I looked at him, smiling as I grabbed his hand and softly kissed his knuckles.

"Everything is perfect."