Seventeen

I cut down the Spector then looked at Kotallo to see him fighting off two. I ran over and took one out, making him smirk as we worked together to take out the other one.

"Alva, if you could hurry!" I growled and she whined, going through the data.

"Ah, I've been locked out!" She told us then I snarled, turning as I heard Zo scream. I looked across the battlefield then saw her pinned by three Spectors.

"Zo!" I went to run over, but a hand stopped me and I looked at Kotallo.

"Kotallo-"

"After the war!" He whispered and I nodded once, running across the field and dodging machines as Zo fought off all she could. As I got to her, I yelled out and cut down the machines, making her cheer as she saw me.

"Where is Regalla?!" I asked, but Zo shook her head and I knew.

"The death she was promised." I said and looked at the tower as explosions sounded at the top.

"Beta, Aloy!" I breathed, looking at the battlefield as more machines came towards us.

"We have to regroup, Shaye!" Zo yelled over the chaos and I nodded.

"When I run, you follow right behind me!" I ordered and she nodded, gripping her spear tightly. As we ran across the field, I cut down Spectors to clear a path to the others for Zo.

Kotallo's POV
"Zo, Shaye!" I looked over then saw the two women running for us, a few Spectors following behind them.

"They're going to be okay!" Alva cheered, doing a little dance next to me. As Zo reached us, I realized Shaye wasn't with her and turned to see the half-blind woman pinned on the ground, fighting off a Spector's strong arms with only her swords.

"Shaye!" I yelled, watching as she cut the arms and the Spector fell. She stood then turned and ran for us, nearly making it when an explosion rocked the earth and sent her flying into the air. It took me a moment to recover, my ears ringing as my head ached, but I soon looked where the woman had been standing to see nothing but a hole left behind.

"SHAYE!" Zo screamed, pain lacing her voice. As I frantically looked around, I didn't see the woman.

"Aloy!" Erend yelled and I noted Aloy and Beta jogging over.

"Where's Shaye?!" Beta asked, but I ignored them as I went towards the crater. When I got there, I saw Shaye's swords laying at the bottom, the metal bent and the handles scorched.

"Oh no!" Aloy breathed, but I refused to accept it.

"Shaye!" I yelled, looking around the area to try and see her.

"Shaye, where are you?!" I called, turning in circles to find her.

"Kotallo-"

"Shaye!" I yelled, begging the Ten to give me something! Anything to prove she was alive!

"Kotallo, she's gone!" Aloy tried, but I bat her hands off as I looked around.

"Answer me, Shaye!" I yelled, the field going quiet as the final Spectors fell and the machines stopped attacking.

"Hey, she's dead-"

"NO!" I roared at Erend then shook my head.

"No, she's not gone!" I growled and looked around the battlefield, my breath leaving me as I saw her laying on the ground.

"Shaye!" I breathed and ran over to her, dropping to the ground and rolling her onto her back. Her armor was scorched, a lost cause, but it appeared she was alright. Aside from the cuts and bruises on her exposed skin.

"Shaye!" I breathed, holding her cheek and using my Focus to check her vitals. She was alive, but barely.

"Is she alive?!" Beta cried as they caught up to me, but I shook my head and held Shaye's cheek as I tried not to cry.

"You promised me, Shaye! Swore, after the battle! Don't leave me now!" I whispered, loud enough for only her to hear, then leaned down and laid my head against hers.

"Come back to me, Shaye!" I breathed, clenching my eyes shut as I held her cold cheek.

"...Hurts." I lifted my head then looked at the woman to see her grimacing as she slowly blinked.

"What?" I laughed, but she shook her head.

"My whole body hurts!" She groaned, though our companions cheered and laughed as I let out a breath.

"That happens when you are blown fifty feet into the air." I laughed, making her grin.

"At least I didn't break my promise." She whispered, smiling up at me.

"Never scare me like that again, please." I whispered and ran my thumb through the dirt on her cheek.

"I'll try." She whispered, groaning as she gripped her ribs. As I looked over her, I noticed her wrist was beginning to turn purple, no doubt broken, and her ribs were oddly shaped.

"We must get you to a healer." I whispered and looked at her.

"Can you hold on long enough for us to get you there?" I asked and she nodded, smiling up at me.

"As long as it's a Tenakth healer." She whispered, making me grin.

"Of course." I whispered and lifted her up in my arms, the mechanical one coming in handy right now.

"Careful, Kotallo, you don't want to make her injuries worse!" Zo warned and I nodded as I lifted Shaye, who whimpered as she wrapped her good arm around my neck.

"I've got you." I whispered, carrying her close to my body as we walked to the boats that would take us across the water to the mainland. As I set her in the boat, I climbed in behind her then looked over my shoulder as the others climbed in.

"Was she hurt?" The man, Sylens I believe, asked as he looked at Shaye. I ignored him as Shaye groaned again then looked at her and grabbed her hand, holding it gently so I didn't aggravate any of her wounds.

"Hang on, Shaye, we're going!" I whispered and she nodded, laying her head on my thigh.

"Keep her awake, Kotallo!" Aloy warned and I looked at Shaye's face to see her eyes on me.

"Tell... Tell me about your home, Kotallo." She whispered and I smiled, reaching up to hold her cheek instead as I told her tales of the Sky Clan and the Bulwark.