seventy-six.

i remember how adamant he was after he let my words sink in. we were almost home when he'd spoken, the air getting colder, my cold hand clasped in his warm one, "he has to pay for what he did to you."

i suppressed a small smile at this, pressing my body towards his and wrapping my arms around his torso, the few inches he had on me causing me to look up, "it's not your job to enforce that."

"i'm your boyfriend, i'm supposed to protect you."

and the most pained filled scream filled the night. i still remember the sobbing sound as miles pulled me behind him, the echo coming from an alley we were passing. there was rustling and then there was screaming and pleading as we got closer. i watched his lips set in a straight line, his arm that was blocking me, only barely grazing my body.

"oh my god," and then as he'd got a sight of the scene, he'd grabbed my arms, pulling me to face towards him. the wind nipped at my skin as he gave me precise instructions. his lips were trembling as he pulled us away from sight, the brick wall i was pressed up against, scraping through the material of my jacket.

i felt the chill settle in as he wrapped my jacket tighter around me, "listen to me, georgia. i want you to go across the street now and call 911." miles said in a tone that left no room for argument. the cries were getting more strangled and my own tears escaped as i nodded, miles' jaw set before he placed a chaste kiss on my forehead and sent me on my way.

my hands were shaking as i dialed, giving the dispatcher our location.

i watched him enter and then he disappeared only the sound of his strong voice echoing, "leave the girl alone, travis!"

and then my heart stopped at the sound of a gunshot, the sound of my blood pumping getting rid of all noise.

the street went silent.