fourty-six.

"i gotta go."

my breath caught in my throat, "when are you coming back?"

"who said i was coming back?" he asked but quickly changed his mind when his eyes latched onto mine. he must've seen the look on my face because he backtracked, "i'll be back in a few weeks, i promise."

i shook my head, my eyes glued to his, daring him to step a foot out of the room. my hand slammed on the bed as he screwed his eyes shut as if he couldn't look at me. his breathing came out harder, "you can't just put me on layaway and just leave me, miles. i can't-"

he was hovering over me in a split second, his lips on mine in a rush before they placed feather light kisses on my cheek and forehead. resting his forehead on mine, my lips still tingling in the aftermath of his intoxication. he licked his lips, diving down again and whispering the words on my lips, "it's not layaway, i'm not telling you not to live your life but i'm hoping when i do come back, you'll still like me," i held his jaw before trailing my hands to his hair and pulling his lips to mine again as if i could make him stay. miles groaned, "if you don't stop that now, i won't be able to leave."

i shook my head, "you always talk about leaving. have i ever left you alone? miles, we can get through this together, i'll take you to therapy, i-i'll get your mom to leave you alone, i-"

"there's nothing you can fix, georgia. you have college to think about, you have a job, you have a family. i'm not letting you throw that away for me. i'll be back, i promise."

and he slipped away from me, grabbing his zipped bag and sliding it over his shoulder, "i wish it was different."

"me too... life sucks, babe."