fourty-two.

i stood, refusing to let my eyes water as i matched my stare with his, my hands on his tense shoulders. he shrugged me off, "i just want to help you-"

he scoffed, "you can help by leaving me the hell alone." and he was making it to the door as i slapped a five on the table and rushed after him. his ringed fingers clinked on the glass as he pushed open the door angrily and made his way hastily down the sidewalk.

"miles!" i yelled as he kept walking, the pair of vans he'd been sporting for a while slapping against the concrete. his flannel tied around his waist paired with a faded Beatles t-shirt that used to be my uncle's and his signature black jeans helped him stand out amongst the passers by.

"miles, what is wrong with you?" i asked, my hand finally being able to grip his wrist and harshly yanking him to face me. his eyes stayed on my recently straightened hair as he pealed my fingers off and stepped back, irritation clear on his face.

i would be lying if i said it didn't sting.

he clenched his jaw, "oh, i don't know, i got a fucking death threat two days ago and on top of that i have you on my back!"

if he was getting loud, i was getting even louder as the insignificant strangers stared at us not-so-inconspicuously. i threw my hands in the air, "is it so bad that i care about you? i thought this-" i gestured between us, "meant that i could care and be there for you when you need me and vice versa-"

"i don't need you here nor do i want you."