Chapter 16

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Liam

To say he was nervous was an understatement. While Liam and Monroe tied seatbelts, straps meant to hold cargo, and scraps of useable, strong fabric for new rope, he pondered on their decision to rescue Mel. It's already killed Sterling, and this time, it could easily kill Bellamy, who's decided he'll be the one to get lowered.

One slip-up is all it takes for Mel's rescue to end in disaster. One slip-up, and three lives could be lost.

It made Liam nauseous.

"Alright, ease it out slowly," Murphy instructed, as he, Monroe, Liam and Finn lowered Bellamy down the cliffside. Behind them, Liam had knotted the end of the makeshift-rope around a tree stump; he made sure it was sturdy.

Callie kept a watchful eye on them —mainly Bellamy and Mel— on the cliff's edge, to make sure all went according to plan and the new rope held; Liam had told her to not be involved with this part, afraid the stitches in her thigh would rip.

As the four delinquents above Bellamy inched closer to the edge, Liam's heart leapt wildly in his throat. "Can you see 'em yet?" he asked from behind Monroe.

"Yeah," replied Callie. "He just got to her."

Seconds after the words left her lips, Liam felt the added weight of Mel on their rope. "I got her!" informed Bellamy, hollering. "Pull us up!"

"Don't you worry, Bellamy. I won't drop you," snarked Murphy, as they started to pull him and Mel.

"Does he ever shut up?" Callie's sarcastic comment didn't go unnoticed by Murphy —he smirked at her.

"We all know the answer to that . . ." Liam breathed through heavy breaths, the muscles in his arms and legs aching.

From behind Murphy, Finn demanded, "Just pull, Murphy."

Grunting, Liam pulled harder, knuckles white and hands a pinkish-red. For six feet they pulled smoothly, until the seatbelt Murphy held in his hands unbuckled. Liam fell back, Monroe falling on top of his legs. The back of his head slammed into a rock, and he hissed.

"Oh, shit." Callie rushed to Murphy, as did Finn.

  Liam covered his head with a hand before he's back on his feet —Monroe following his actions— and helping Murphy, Callie and Finn. "Bellamy!"

  "You'd think four in a half people could pull two," Murphy commented, through grunts.

  Finn and Liam shouted in unison between breaths, "Shut up, Murphy!"

  "What the hell is happening up there?!" Bellamy yelled, Mel screaming as the chaos happened.

  "Just hold on!" Finn replied.

  "Finn," Liam called, Finn moving a little further down the seatbelt with him while Monroe, Callie and Murphy kept their positions.

  An arrow whizzed and nearly stuck Monroe, Liam's eyes widening as extra adrenaline and panic seeped into his veins. "Grounders!"