Chapter 4

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Addison

  Coming around the corner from the elevator, her eyes widened. Flags of all kinds hung from the ceiling, their colours and patterns visible in the dimly lit and neatly decorated area. Paintings hung on every inch of the walls, and light fixtures Addison's never seen hung from the ceiling. Multiple tables pushed together lined in the centre of the gathering area while thick archways perched around, darkening the surrounding area even more.

  People of all genders, race and age chattered amongst themselves, their garb nicer that what Addison and the delinquents wore as they all laughed and ate, without zero care of the dangers on the surface.

  "The Mess Hall?" Addison had asked no guard in particular. The male guard acknowledged her and replied, simply saying "yes".

  She hummed. Bright food she's never seen spread atop the tables, a piano resided in the far back corner, currently occupied by a young couple that sat on the bench and giggled.

  Addison's heart strings tugged. Her face softened; she missed those late night giggles she and Octavia shared will they snuck around to avoid Bellamy's wrath.

  Shaking those thoughts from her head, Addison turned and found the guards gone. She had no idea where to go or where her friends are. Is she supposed to wait in the Mess Hall?

  Navigating Mount Weather was the least of her worries. She worried about navigating the people.

Addison sighed. Not a single person looked familiar. "Thank you for nothing, guards," she mumbled.

  Loud laughter echoed, followed by multiple sets of hurried footsteps. She glanced in the direction. Children no older than eight came pounding into the Mess Hall. Three of them —two boys and a girl— ran straight for their parents that'd be conversing. Each of them jumped, their parents catching them as their innocent eyes squinted in pure joy.

  Two —boy and girl— didn't run to their parents or parent. The boy poked the girl, teasing and laughing, and the girl bolted after him, yelling some gibberish.

  Addison smiled softly. They reminded her of herself and Liam when they were their age.

  "You must be new." Addison gasped, startled by the sudden presence. She spun and came face-to-face with a much taller girl. She could easily be about Liam's height, maybe an inch or two shorter. "Welcome to Mount Weather," she smiled, but it never reached her eyes.

  "You sound as excited as I do," Addison commented, then looked the girl up and down.

  Dark blonde hair and even darker roots, blue eyes, pale skin —reminding Addison how pale she'd been before the ground— and garb consisting of black sweats and a dark blue zip-up jacket. "I hate it here," the girl nonchalantly shrugged.

Taken back, Addison's brows absentmindedly furrowed, "Good to you know I'm not the only one."

  The stranger laughed, amused, "You haven't even been out of quarantine for 24 hours, and already you're assuming?"

  "If a resident doesn't like it, then why should I?"

  She hummed, "Excellent question. Nice accent by the way."