Chapter 3

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Addison

Mount Weather? She couldn't believe it. All this time, there's been people living inside this place. But what did she expect? If the Grounders have been alive well after the bombs, she shouldn't be as surprised as she is by these new people.

Addison entered another set of double doors. She's flanked by the guards as she followed behind the slender, old man. Her eyes bounced around the concrete walls that enclosed her. It's a complete replica of the grey, doorless and windowless hall she walked through after exiting the white double doors from where she woke.

"Where are you taking me?"

"To see that your wounds are tended to," he answered, and spared Addison a small glance over his shoulder.

Addison came to an abrupt halt, "I'm not taking another step until you tell me who the hell you are that's so important to be followed around by guards," she spat.

Stopping in his tracks, the old man shot her the same friendly smile from earlier before he walked toward her. "President Dante Wallace," he introduced, and extended a veiny hand toward Addison.

She flickered her doe eyes to the hand that shook slightly before she met his dark blue eyes, "I'm not calling you that."

Amused, President Wallace chuckled, and retracted his hand. "Your friends described you very well, Addison."

Reluctantly, Addison followed behind Dante when he continued, "What'd they say?" she asked plainly in an uninterested manner. "Opinionated, temperament issues .  .  ." she drawled each word, veered left at the corner, and continued as the solid grey walls continued too, " .  .  . has a weird accent and a charming ability to break someone's nose when you piss me off." She's roughly yanked to a stop.

Addison's expression remained neutral as she snapped her head to the woman's dark eyes that glare directly into hers. Addison not mad. She's more annoyed than anything. She knows she's pushing her luck, but when is she never not? It's in Addison's nature.

"I'm trying to have a conversation with your 'President'," she mocked, and ripped her arm free. "If you wouldn't mind interrupting, that'd be fantastic," Addison grumbled. So much for keeping quiet, she said to herself.

"You lack compliance skills," Dante mentioned. "They mentioned that too."

Addison pressed her lips together and made a low humming noise before she's continuing the walk down the boring hall, "Yeah, sorry .  .  . I'm only compliant in bed."

Addison stared up at the back of his head, smirking, and Dante stopped. He turned and met her gaze, "Don't test me, Addison."

"Clearly my people didn't tell you that part about me," her smirked is gone.

Dante ignored the comment and continued, but not before he gave Addison a warning look. She rolled her eyes before she stared down at her bare feet, thinking. A month ago, she was in Solitary Confinement, counting down the days until she turned 18. At the time, the day couldn't come faster —she was ready to die.

Addison wanted to see her mother again, and tell her she's sorry for not being there when she needed her the most .  .  . admit the wrong she had done on Agro and for nearly strangling Maggie, her cellmate, in Lockup.