Pros and Cons

It's just something only we know
Baby, I can't help myself
I'm seein' you everywhere I go
I don't dream of anyone else

Sweet Relief- Madison Beer

Chapter Fifty One

||KIT||

Standing on the doorstep to my house I realised I wasn't as nervous as I expected to be.

Ever since Masky had told me my mask was a placebo it didn't make sense to be scared of anything at all anymore. Especially with the added protection of Zalgo.

But could The Nightmare King protect me from Sara's chancla?

I readied myself before pushing the door open and stepping inside.

I was greeted with warmth and Sara's voice as soon as I walked in. She was sitting in one of the living room armchairs, her head resting against one hand while her other hand held the home phone to her ear.

The digital clock on the mantle was flashing 3:15 am.

"- with them. This is Kit we're talking about she would never-" she stopped to listen as the person on the other line spoke, nodding to herself as she sniffled and I frowned.

Should I have been more mindful? Sara had a lot to deal with and she didn't need my antics disturbing her already hectic system.

Maybe being with Masky really had changed me.

I cleared my throat and her head whipped around almost immediately.

"Te llamo después!" she spoke into the receiver hurriedly before setting it down and rushing over to me.

"Kit! Where the fajitas were you?"

Before I could answer I was grabbed up into a tight hug and she peppered kisses all over my head. She pulled away to look at me holding my face in her hands as tears shimmered in her deep brown eyes and although I knew I should probably reciprocate her emotions, I couldn't.

Inside, I was upset that my night hadn't gone the way I expected it to and I just wanted to get away.

Get to my room.

Get in bed.

"I-"

I was cut off by her pulling me to her bosom again, "you gave me such a fright, mija!"

"Sorry..." I didn't know what else to say and when she pulled away again she looked into my dry eyes with her own tear-filled ones.

"Mija, talk to me," I noticed she was staring at the band-aid on my neck and I looked at my feet.

"Can we talk later? I'm not feeling so good."

"Kit-"

"Please," I begged, raising my head to look into her eyes, "I promise I'll talk when I feel better."

Her eyes searched mine for a while before she sighed and let her hands drop to her sides.

"Fine. I'll give you an hour."

I immediately booked it up the stairs after giving her a closed lipped smile, headed for my room.

Flinging the door open I let out a sigh of relief and locked it after me.

Free at last.

I'd gotten off the hook a lot easier than I expected to at first and I immediately peeled out of my hoodie and flung it onto my bed. Heading into the bathroom I washed my face, stopping to look into my eyes as water droplets rolled off my skin.