Chapter 17: Gambit (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"Isn't this working way too well!?" Valandus yelled in an adrenaline rushed panic.

"Keep driving and don't stop," Bethial responded with grim determination. "Everyone defend this bastion as if your life depends on it!"

"That's because it does sir," a cheeky comment came from the back.

"Then all the more!"

Even Kyle couldn't help be shocked at the reaction. The demons really did have it out for him. He could feel their eyes lock on to him from even beyond the fog. When he was back on the hill they never had the chance to spot him but now so close he could sense their warped desires. He stood with hands firmly wrapped around the steel frame in front of him as the barrage of murmurs assaulted his mind.

"Help me."

"Die."

"Why?"

"Please...."

"Come back."

"Don't lie."

"Suffer."

"......."

"Share it."

"Just stop."

Among the whispers a strangled silence caused Kyle to react. More than the terrible sounds of suffering, the strained static like noise scratched against his ears and immediately had him hone in on it. From all the fog and magic flying through the air it was impossible to see but Kyle felt it was there.

He grabbed his radio, "Valandus drive 30 degree to the left!"

"What why?" despite the questioning response the truck quickly began turning. "Isn't it enough that we're pulling the demons this way? If we go too far we'll be out of reach of the cannons."

"I can feel it. It's that way."

The Captain responded as well, "Follow his directions Valandus. The faster this is done the better."

"Yes sir!"

At the speed they were going it wouldn't even take a full minute to cross the incursion grounds. Of course that would be under usual circumstances. With the rampaging demons, many of which fired their own long distance attacks, it was a testimony of skill to Valandus that he could stick to the path while avoiding their demise. Even with his ability however a sudden thunk struck the side of the truck followed by a scream of pain. Kyle peered down to see a black spear like appendage imbedded into the steel frame. Although he couldn't see it someone must have been hit inside.

"....." the static warping grew louder forcing Kyle to face forward. He spotted it on the edges of the city, the fog itself seemingly to open a path between them. The demon was still far away and hard to make out but he knew that was the one.

Just as Kyle was about to tell the others a flash of light sprang from its position and suddenly the demon was much closer. A swath of danger broke through his heart sending shivers across his entire body. It was barely 50 metres away now.

"Dodge!" Kyle screamed.

Valandus yanked hard on the wheel causing the truck to spin away but the loose dirt made it impossible to do such a fine turn. They were on a direct collision course and right before their eyes the demon raised its arm. Unlike the others, just like Kyle had said, it resembled a human but one that was deformed, mutated as if by a malign evil. The difference surprised Kyle the most however. Compared to what he knew, the change was nightmarish. The core still pressed into its chest but its head had become grotesque, growing horn like offshoots, and the weapon it should have carried morphed cleanly into its arm, the same arm now ready to strike them.