Chapter 10

Mi-Cha was on edge. She'd been distant and silent ever since they'd left Judge Min's office, understandably. Her mates were worried, but decided not to address it yet. It seems as if she really needed space right now.

They were currently at Dr. Kim's office, waiting in the lobby. Mi-Cha sat in a chair in the middle of the two, arms crossed, eyes closed, and knee bouncing a mile a minute. She was trying to mentally prepare herself for this appointment. Unlike the last time she'd been there, this time would definitely include needles. She could feel her skin crawl at the thought, her scalp growing hot and her teeth clenched tightly.

"Ms. Cho," Dr. Kim calls and she opens her eyes, standing up despite everything in her telling her to run.

She knew it was irrational to do so and had the wherewithal not to, but the urge was definitely there and hard to ignore. Everyone in the room could feel how tense she was, her usually very sweet scent taking on bitter notes.

Dr. Kim locks eyes with her mates, a silent queue for them to stand by incase anything were to happen and they both nod, on edge themselves. They watch as Mi-Cha disappears down the hallway before speaking to each other lowly.

"She's definitely not okay. This feels like more than nerves," Jimin says, scooting over to her seat next to JK.

"I agree, maybe we should've offered to go with her? But at the same time, I don't want to invade her privacy or offend her in any way," he says, biting his thumb nail, something he did when stressed or nervous.

"Right. The situation is so...fucked. I feel like we can do something wrong at any moment and I don't like that. I want her to trust us and feel safe with us. She shouldn't have to handle these things alone," Jimin says, running his hand through his hair.

"We'll just have to have a talk about it. Best way to find out what makes someone uncomfortable is to ask right?" JK says, wrapping his arm around Jimin's shoulder so he could put his face in his neck.

Although slightly distressed, his alpha's scent immediately made him feel calmer.

Meanwhile, Dr. Kim was explaining to Mi-Cha that he needed blood samples, something she already knew, while he checked on the vamp bite on her neck.

"If we have any chance of finding out what they were injecting you with, I need to take some samples. Your alpha blood is working to remove impurities, but that process is slower because you're half human of course.
The fact that your bite hasn't healed completely let's me know that your blood is most likely still contaminated with it...for now. It'll be the nail in the coffin for your old pack doctor for sure," he explains, re-bandaging her bite and rolling over his tray of blood work materials.

She tries to control it, but just the sight of the needle has her shaking and  breaking into a cold sweat, tears springing into her eyes.

"I'm sorry," she apologizes when Dr. Kim looks up at her with concern.

"Don't apologize for how you feel Ms. Cho. It seems as if your experiences have given you a phobia of needles. It's all up here sweetheart, but I know it can be hard to overcome. Maybe having one of your mates here will ease your nerves," he suggests.

"JK please. I don't want Jimin to see me like this," she replies.

Dr. Kim leaves and quickly explains the situation to her soulmates, coming back with JK in tow.

"Hey, everything's gonna be okay," he says, following his instincts and pulling her into a hug.

She immediately feels calmer in his embrace, inhaling he and Jimin's scents on his shirt.

"You two can stay like that while I get the samples if you're more comfortable that way Ms. Cho. I just need you to extend your arm. It's best if you don't look anyways," Dr. Kim says and she sticks her arm out in response, her face still buried in JK's chest.

She could feel Dr. Kim prepping her arm for the stick, but focused on JK's breathing, and then he starts to hum while stroking her hair. It brought a comfort she'd never experienced before, distracting her from the situation at hand.

Dr.Kim warns her before the stick, coaxing her to unball her fist and relax her arm after the pinch.

"The worst part is over now," he says, slightly muffled because one ear was on JK's chest and his hand covered the other.

"Alright Ms. Cho. You are all done. I'm gonna get these samples running and I'll call with any information," Dr. Kim says before exiting the room.

"Are you okay now?" JK asks, pulling back and tilting het face up so she could look at him.

"No," she cries, heavy tears streaming down her face.

"What's wrong? You did so well," he says, grabbing some tissues for her.

"I'm pathetic! I'm supposed to be an alpha and I cower at the thought of a needle, a minuscule object. How on earth is my beta supposed to ever feel safe in my presence? I feel like I'm failing him already. And you," she cries, attempting to pull away from his grasp.

"Listen Mi-Cha, just because you're an alpha doesn't mean you're fearless. If anything, we carry the most fears," he says, wiping her tears.

"You're just saying that to make me feel better. Look at you, what could you possible be afraid of?" She asks.

One look at him and you could just tell he was an alpha. Tall, strong build, and determined eyes. Even his scent screamed masculinity, although it had soft amber notes too.

"Microwaves," he blurts, making her tilt her head.

"Microwaves? Are you joking with me Jeongguk, because I'm serious right now. I'm—"

"I'm not joking. I, Alpha Jeon Jeongguk, is terrified of microwaves. Always have been, always will be," he says, no hint of joking in his tone.

Mi-Cha is too stunned to speak, her mind unable to fathom this man being afraid of one of the most common food appliances.

"See? Completely irrational, but completely real. We all fave fears. Being an alpha doesn't exempt you from that. What matters is that you confront them. You just confronted yours and if anybody ever needed me to operate a microwave for emergency purposes, I would. Thankfully that hasn't happened yet and I hope it never does—but I will if I really really have to," he says, his tone at the end making her giggle.

"See? Fears don't seem so scary when we confront them together right? I want you to know that you can come to me and Jimin anytime and we'll listen okay? Jimin thinks the world of you regardless of what you think of yourself okay? About him feeling safe in your presence, I have no doubt that you'd act accordingly if he was threatened. Most alphas have trained since they presented. You've been thrown into this world unexpectedly, but you're a fighter, Mi-Cha. You may not see it yet, but I do. I can help you if you let me," he says and she nods.

"I don't want to be this fragile, traumatized shell of an alpha you two have to tip toe around. I want to be strong and dependable and bring something to the table other than my baggage," she says, her tears reduced to sniffles now.

"You're one the strongest people I know Mimi. What you've been through...would completely end some people. You're still standing. You stood up for yourself and showed no fear in the eye of your attackers. The very first words I heard from you were "I'm not afraid of him," and you weren't despite all that happened. That's something to be proud of. My dad used to always tell me, "Life gives its toughest battles to its strongest soldiers." You've made it through the battle and now you have to patch your wounds. Jimin and I will be there every step of the way to help," he says passionately.

"Thank you," is all Mi-Cha could muster up to say as she threw her arms around him and squeezes him as tight as she could.

He's the first person to believe in her this way and she wouldn't let him down. She would go to therapy and heal; and she would train in whichever way she needed to become a mate they could be proud of—for them and herself.