xxiii

On the twelfth of March, Jongin sent me a text message, containing the details of their exhibition. It would be held at an auditorium located in an elementary school, and the gates would open at eight. The venue was quite far from the hospital Jongin's department was doing the charity for, but it was accessible to the public.

- And Suji, wear something comfortable. Pack some extra clothes, too. We'll be playing games.

I woke up at six the next day, and hurriedly ate breakfast before taking a bath. I changed into a plain, white shirt paired with jeggings. Just as Jongin instructed, I took a duffel bag with me and placed a couple of shirts and jeans, along with socks and two towels. I took two because Jongin was the type who would forget such things. I changed into my black roshe, and just when I was about to open the door, Jongin called, saying he was already outside.

The first thing that greeted me was the scent of watermelons, and then, his smile.

"What did you eat for breakfast?" he asked.

I kept quiet.

"Suji?"

"Cereals."

Jongin changed gears, and reversed the car in a smooth, almost mechanical manner. His jumper's sleeves were rolled up, exposing his tanned arms. Every time he gripped the steering wheel singlehandedly, his greenish veins would protrude, reminding me of tree branches.

"I knew this would happen," he said. "Sis and Mom packed some food for us. We can eat before starting."

I could only scoff at his remark. "What did you bring?"

He glanced at the rearview mirror, and said, "Extra clothes. Plasters. A first aid kit just in case—oh, shoot! I forgot to bring a towel."

"I knew this would happen," I mimicked. "Don't worry. I brought a spare."

Jongin smiled, and said nothing. He didn't have to speak. I somehow knew what he was thinking about, and I wondered, if we would intersect again, and build something new together.

-::-

It was half past seven when we arrived. Jongin unloaded the trunk, and carried everything—including my duffel bag.

"I'll help you out," I offered.

"I'm good," he said. "It isn't that heavy."

As we crossed the school grounds, many people turned to our general direction. They either gave us an approving nod, or a curious stare. I wasn't surprised, considering what Jongin and I had before wasn't a secret in the first place. Funnily enough, when we broke up, there weren't incessant questions. Most people didn't ask about the hows, and the whys. I wondered, then, if they saw our separation happening, or if they didn't know just where to begin, all because they had nothing to pin us down with. Jongin and I kept to ourselves while we stayed together. We would hold hands, and he would place his arms around my shoulders as we walked. But people never knew if we argued on that day or not. We had this mutual agreement that we would praise in public, and confront in private.

Jongin informed his classmates that we would eat first, and they directed us to stay in the home economics room which got turned into a makeshift resting space for them. Jongin placed the straw bag on the table, and I helped him unpack the things: bibimbap, pork cutlets, rice, kimchi, and a thermos of miso soup.

"Is she going to feed a battalion or something?" Jongin murmured. "Look at these portions, Suji. She mustn't have forgotten about your appetite."

"Shut up," I said.