xxii

Sungyeol, too, grew quiet upon seeing Myungsoo. It felt strange, because I knew I didn't want to stare, but that was what I exactly did. And in that moment, I felt nothing.

My eyes traced their every step, and Taek, with his intelligent eyes filled with curiosity, looked at me. Myungsoo settled for the table across me—whether he did it on purpose or not, I had no idea. Soojung's arms were folded across her chest. She removed her coat only to expose a sky blue dress shirt that was quite big on her. The sleeves were folded to her elbows, and the fabric swayed gracefully whenever she moved. Her hair was tied in a loose ponytail, and despite the simplicity of her attire, she still stood out.

Myungsoo's jaws remained clenched, even when he let go of Taek's hand. The air around them sent chills down my spine, and if it weren't for Sungyeol tapping me by the shoulder, I wouldn't have looked away.

"Taek got into an accident earlier," Sungyeol whispered, as he slid my beverage over the polished surface. "I had an inkling he'd visit the hospital. I just didn't think he'd bring them—" he trailed off, and asked, "Are you okay?"

I could only brush his question off with a tiny smile. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Do you want me to transfer your hot chocolate into a paper cup—"

"No," I cut in. "I'm going to stay here. I'd like some lemon loaf, too, please."

He seemed surprised at my sudden reaction, but I suppose that was how I wanted to protect myself. By not walking away. Myungsoo didn't even turn to my direction. Not even once. His eyes were fixed on either Soojung or Taek, and that was how I came to understand what Sungyeol said back then: that Myungsoo was tense around her.

Myungsoo pulled out his iPad from his bag, along with a pair of headphones. He handed it to Taek, to which the child happily took. Afterwards, he turned to Soojung, and whispered something. I couldn't hear it from where I stood, but judging from the way Myungsoo's lips moved—and his clenched fists—he was angry. Soojung's eyes widened, before whispering something back. Her arms remained crossed, even after sitting down.

I finally walked over to a vacant table, and I sat with my back turned to Soojung. I was adjacent to the door, and a transparent window was in front of me. Customers came and went at a steady pace, and I was able to count the fifth person when Myungsoo finally spoke: "You should've called me first."

"Why?" Soojung countered. "You aren't even Taek's father."

"Taek's father," he seethed. "Did he come, then? When you said his son got into an accident what did he say? Did he even answer the phone?"

"Stop forcing yourself into us," she cut in. The atmosphere froze, the moment those words escaped from her mouth. "I appreciate that you're there for Taek, but please...don't overdo it."

He scoffed. "Why?" he murmured. "Is it because it's me? And if another guy does the same thing, it'd be okay with you?"

"That's not—"

"If it's Taek's father, would you be all right with it?"

"This and that are different," Soojung shot back. "He's Taek's father. He has every right to have that kind of role in his life."

"Soojung-ah," Myungsoo began. The way her name rolled on his tongue was different. There was resentment present in his voice—but at the same time, a hint of pride. "Just how long have we known each other? Do you think I'd believe your sorry excuse? With what you're doing, you're coveting your dead sister's man."

Something got caught up in my throat. My vision grew blurry, and I found it difficult to breathe. The way Myungsoo spoke—he was a completely different person. He said he loved Soojung, so why would he say such things? I breathed in deeply, and took my time exhaling. I looked at the window in front of me, and saw Myungsoo's gaze, steadily fixed on Soojung, who remained still.