x

Worlds, no matter how far apart, would inevitably collide.

I detested the fact that the shelves for Architecture and Photography were right next to each other. Libraries, in a very metaphorical sense, could actually shrink the universe.

My has-been sun was wearing a denim jacket at that time, with the sleeves folded up to his elbows. He was wearing his favorite pair of ripped, black jeans. The same friendship bands were strapped on his wrists. The both of us froze, the moment we saw each other. My eyes brushed through the memories we shared—the days and emotions gathered for half a decade, only to end in one night, through a phone call.

"Suji," Jongin finally choked out.

"Hey," I whispered. "How have you been?"

"I—" he bit his lower lip, before smiling sheepishly. "I feel like crap, to be honest. I'm sorry, for doing that."

For doing that.

Everything we had, only to be condensed in one word: that.

"You were just being honest," I said, and before I could even stop myself, I added, "And it's not like we were sure of each other, right?"

It's not like you were sure of me, right?

I looked at him in the eye, and noticed a certain glimmer.

He nodded a little, sighed, and showed me the book he was holding. "I better get going."

"Hm."

"You're pissed," Jongin concluded. "You are. I'm really sorry. I don't know how to make it up to you, or if I even should. But I couldn't give you a better reason, because what I said back then, was the truth."

"I'm thankful for that," I returned. "Let me have some space to be pissed, all right? One day, things will be fine between us. I know. You're just that kind of person, too. You adjust when the other cannot."

"Of course."

"And what about the things you gave me?"

A tiny pause. "Do what you want with it, but please don't send it back to me."

"And the ones I gave you?"

"I'll keep them. I'll keep them well."

And just like that, we waved at each other, and he walked away.

Perhaps, we got so used to each other, that even permanent separation became something peaceful. No persistent asking of 'whys', or messy tears. It hurt. Of course, it hurt. We spent five years together. Still, at least as an ex-girlfriend, I should be understanding, and respect his decision. I was glad we didn't cross the line, no matter how tempting it was. It was an honor, having to experience my firsts with Jongin, who treated me well.

"That has got to be the most peaceful breakup I have ever seen."

I turned around, and crossed my arms. "You have to break the habit of eavesdropping."

"I just so happened to be here," Myungsoo raised his arms in surrender. "But really, the both of you handled it well."

"It's the least we could do," I replied. "To not leave a bitter taste in each other's lives."

"So the both of you could freely love again? Is that it?"

"Pretty much."

He scoffed. "That's utter bull."

I looked at Myungsoo, and he looked back at me.

"Utter. Bull."

"I don't say anything when it comes to Soojung, so I hope you respect what I had with Jongin."