xii

I received a gift from Sungyeol, much to my surprise. I visited the café, then, thinking maybe I'd have a bit of progress done, if I change my environment a bit.

"I'm two weeks behind," he said, giving me a neon orange paper bag. "But here y'are. It's not much, though."

I stared, and with a grateful bow, took the item from his waiting hand. "Sungyeol, thank you. You shouldn't have."

"Come on," he said. "You're no stranger to me, Suji. Will you be here for a while?"

I nodded. "I have to do something about my portfolio. I've been stagnant for ages."

"I'll join you when it's time for my break, then," he said. "See you later."

I nodded at him, and proceeded to occupy the usual spot. I plugged my laptop's charger in, and started browsing through my gallery. It had been days since Myungsoo and I saw each other. We were both busy with our respective projects, and Myungsoo drifting away from time to time became the norm for me. I was still curious, as to where he'd disappear to, but I didn't ask anymore. If I could avoid the pins and needles that would irritate my heart, then I would.

It wasn't long before Sungyeol joined me. He brought me a saucer of brownie, as well.

"How did your birthday go?" he began.

"I thought it was supposed to be a private dinner," I said. "But Myungsoo's family was there, too. If I knew, then I would've invited you."

"You're all right," he replied. "I wouldn't be able to attend, anyway."

"Oh? Were you at work at that time?"

A pause. "It was my pa's funeral."

I froze, not really knowing how to respond. At one point, I felt bad about not knowing. And then, a bit upset, because Sungyeol didn't inform me. And then, nothing.

But then again, it was something I shouldn't even get involved in. He was close with Myungsoo, and it was only because of our mutual connection with him, that we even had the chance to hang out.

"Myungsoo knew," he said. "But I asked him to keep it a secret from you. Your birthday was coming up, and your parents would be around. It's very roundabout, and quite selfish. I'm sorry."

"Was he able to attend the funeral?" I asked.

"He dropped by frequently."

"Still," I swallowed. "You should've told me. I understand why, but still..."

"Suji, I told you, haven't I? You and Myungsoo would get along well. I know you'll get out of your way to help out. That's the reason why I didn't want you to know."

"I'm sorry."

He smiled, hands intertwined. "There's no need for you to apologize. I should be the one doing that."

It had been fourteen days, and Sungyeol told me how their house became clean of the paraphernalia his father used. Before being confined in the hospital, he received treatments at home. As much as possible, Sungyeol's father refused to leave the house.

The bed was gone, along with the wheelchair, and the boxes of medication.

"It's brighter now," he said. "The house, I mean. And wider. Quieter, too."

Emptier. I thought.

"How about Auntie?" I asked.

"She went to work right after the funeral. I couldn't stop her. She needs some sort of distraction, as well."