Chapter 26

Levi rolled over, extending his arm to grasp at warmth he cuddled up next to, albeit to only grasp at the cool air. He stirred awake, scanning the room with squinted eyes. The sun rays that slipped past the cracks in the curtains was painfully unforgiving. Is this what it feels like after a good night's rest? He thought and groaned, face planting back into the pillow.

Just as his mind numbed, coaxing him back into a shallow slumber, he felt the bed dip down. Levi turned his head up. She was glowing, literally- the sunlight softly tracked the edges of her figure. "Good afternoon," she chirped. Levi rubbed his face, stretching his limbs around her body, hugging her close.

"Good afternoon," he mumbled into her side.

Y/N leaned down taking his puffy cheeks in her hands, giving them a little squeeze. His eyes blinked awake, adjusting to the warm afternoon light. He looked cute-a compliment she would never have thought to give this man. "I was going to wake you in a bit," she cooed.

Levi laid his head on her thigh. "Why didn't you wake me earlier?" he mumbled, his morning voice husky and coarse. "I would have convinced you to stay in bed longer," he said, tightening his arms around her. She combed her fingers through the fine strands of hair sticking out in different directions, taming them.

"You looked too comfortable to disturb; I thought to let you snooze for a little while longer." He rubbed his head into her side.

"Cuddle, now," he insisted. Though he appreciated her consideration of his comfort, he selfishly wanted to hold her a little longer; to preserve the little time they have before having to make appearances. He pulled the covers back inviting her into back bed.

"I need to catch the doctor before she finishes her shift. It would only take a moment," Y/N explained, her hand briefly grazing past her stomach. The fun they had hours ago carried some risks she had otherwise would not have taken were she not privileged with accessible medical care.

He sat up alarmed, noticeably worried , afraid he might have accidentally reopened the wound on her shoulder or maybe he wasn't as gentle as he thought he was.

Catching on to him, Y/N pecked his lips. "No, you didn't cause any bodily harm to me," she reassured. "In fact, I very much enjoyed last night; I just want to take some preventative measures, that's all."

He tipped his head to the side, eyebrows raised in confusion. "For?"

"Um...Pregnancy," Y/N revealed. Hiding it from Levi wasn't going to be healthy for either of them, having had been there once. She wasn't about to tolerate another relationship where she would be pressured and pushed to be a mother when she wasn't ready.

"Oh..." He rubbed the back of his head, colour and warmth returning to his cheeks in a light shade of rose pink and cleared his throat. "I shouldn't have came in you... sorry. I'll pull out next time. "

She pursed her lips "So there's going to be the next time?" she grinned excitedly. Her mind taking her places to suggestive, imaginative places accredited to the sudden hefty weight lifted off her shoulders. Given how touchy the subject was, she didn't expect him to be so accepting of her decision.

She had learnt the hard way that no matter how perfect a partner was, the pressure to continue a bloodline triumphs all sense of comprehension and compassion, and most importantly, the personal wishes of a woman. You should know better, she reminded herself one too many times taking her back to her childhood whereby she grew up around people with this one-sided, biased mindset.

The men that existed around her would poison little girls' minds with the crippling idea of how it's a woman's duty to satisfy her husband and bear his bloodline, in exchange for a comfortable rich life. She was only able to filter out those teachings because of her upbringing at the brothel before her father 'saved' her.