Chapter 16

She watched as cannon balls ripped clean through the necks of the Titans approaching. So far she had only leaped off the platform twice— a mere 4 meter abnormal and 8 meter who's head grew back in seconds that managed to make a beeline for the wall.

"How long more do you think they're going to take?" Johann grumbled.

"As long as it takes to ensure the Wall is safe," Hange replied. It had been almost am hour since the mission commenced. Given the sheer size of the gate, it had to checked diligently and the repairs done meticulously.

Y/N had been on the repairing end before—Wall Maria, before it fell. It was the first time she had witnesse death by the hands of a Titan. Her colleague was too nervous causing the guy to stumble off the platform into the mouth of a Titan. The man was too afraid to move, to do anything as he begged for his life. He was gone before the first scout member came to his aid.

She lifted her head, letting out a small gasp. It was huge— one of the biggest she had ever encountered. Though there were eye witness reports of the a 50 meter titan dubbed the Collosal Titan, Y/N had never personally seen one tower past 15 meters.

"Holy..." She breathed. It was extraordinarily horrific. It made the common 4 and even 8 meters look like a fucking joke. In what cursed womb were you pushed out from... She wondered.

"What the fuck is that?" Johann quivered, his face paler than before taking in the grim size and face of the assumingly 17 meter trample its way towards the wall. It dawned a wide smile on its face, rosy cheeks and soulless eyes on its comparatively small face, long black hair. It's body was bulbous, carrying most of its weight in the belly area which was huge compared to its skinny arms and disfigured legs.

"Shoot it down," Y/N whispered to herself, a plea to the people manning the canons to do their job well.

"Bring it down!" Erwin roared. The harsh blast of the cannon fire rang in her ears. She watched as the balls miss the neck over and over again. It's larger, it should be easier to take it down, she thought to herself. A majority of the heavy artillery soon turn their attention to the smaller Titans that were getting way too close for comfort.

"Come on..." Hange mumbled, a sense of urgency in her words, "Come on!" The three of them were the closest platform in the path of the Titan. That meant in the worse case scenario, it would be the three of them who would have to take on the responsibility of killing the gargantuan man eating beast.

With each step, Y/N felt her heart sink deeper and deeper into her stomach, the thundering of her heart so loud it drowned out the blasts. "Hange!" Erwin yelled, green smoke followed, earning a nod from the four eyed Squad Leader.

"Fuck you, Ewrin and your thick blocky eyebrows!" Hange grumbled. "Come on you two!" She leaped off the the platform leading the other. Very quickly Hange hooked herself onto approaching titan's body, slashing what remained of the eye of the titam as she flew down. She circled back and hacked it's nape off.

Y/N and Johann landed at the steaming hole where half the Titan's face used to be. "Ew," Johann bleached.

"Incoming!" Y/N warned and jumped to the side, narrowly escaping jaws of a dark haired titan crawling on its arms and feet like a spider. The Titan reached its other hand out to Johann who stood there frozen with fear.

"DON'T JUST STAND THERE YOU FUCKING IDIOT! DO SOMETHING!" Y/N yelled as her blades cut cleanly through the Titan's wrist. He cried. She groaned shoving him out of the way. Adrenaline pumped through her veins as the other hand down on the two. In that moment she gained enough ungodly strength to drag the boy backwards. "Get out of the fucking way if you're going to be useless!" She yelled as the hand reached out for them again.

"Run!" Hange yelled chopping off the Titan's arm giving them a window of escape. Y/N jumped to the side, hooking her grapples onto the Titan's forearm propelling herself into the air as quickly as possible, expanding a little more gas that she'd like to go around the Titan. It lifted it's hand swinging her up higher, giving her just the right amount lift and altitude to effectively plummet down and take it's nape with her.

Johann dropped to his knees sobbing, Hange yelling at him for endangering his teammate. Blood evaporated off Y/N's steel blades as she jumped off the Titan. The ground trembled bringing their attention back to the field.

Y/N looked up, swallowing the lump on her throat, her knees buckled at sight of its astronomical size upclose... It's large shadow loomed over them. She took a step back her mind screaming at her to abandon her duty and run for the Walls. It was the most logical thing to do.

She nudged the sobbing boy with her foot, "Get up!" she urged. She looked him dead in the eye, "If you so foolishly want to end your life in this way, then that's wholly on you. Hange and I can only protect you for so long. So God forbid, Johann what do you want to do?"

He stood up knees shaking. "We have to run, we can't take it down! It's too big, and we're too unprepared for this!"

"Then go, get to safety!" She pushed, side eyeing Hange, the two of them shared a breif, evidently crazy and careless thought.

"We got this kid," Hange reassured, a mischievous smirk on her face. "YAHOO! Come here big boy!" She took off Y/N following behind.

"WHAT?!" he cried as the two women so dangerously and recklessly ran towards the Titan. "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU TWO?!" He bawled, utterly shocked.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

"They're insane!" one cried.

"Turn around! Turn around!" The soldiers yelled in horror as they watched the two made the executive decision to run towards the Titan.

"RUN YOU, TITAN WHORE!" Moblit screeched, scolding his impulsive Titan-loving leader.

"ERWIN!" Levi yelled. He knew that they likely knew that if they turned their back towards the Titan, they would end up dead. They had no other choice. With the lack of elevation in the area and the speed of a horse, the two were in an incredibly disadvantageous situation.

The least he could do while standing from the safety of the Walls was to buy them some time. He knew those two well enough; Hange's brains and Y/N agility and strength was in itself a force of nature the Titans could not conquer.

It was difficult for the Commander to order long shots—it was the lives of soldiers he deeply respected on the line. "Section II I need all your attention focused on that beast! Help them get to the nape! The rest focus on other Titans!" Erwin turned to Levi.

"If they fail to kill it, I need you down there, Levi."

Levi looked ahead, bearing witness to the struggle his friends faced to stay alive while not forgetting their duties. It was painfully difficult to shove down his feelings of anxiety and despair, to keep a straight face for the sake of the other soldiers falling apart as they helplessly watched their friends head towards a painful death.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Word Count: 1274

Chapter 16 will be split up into two parts for easy reading and editing~~ stay tuned it will be up soon after I double check the grammar and spelling.

xx alex