Chapter 13

Y/N reined in her horse to a halt at a stream along the route towards the Scout's Headquarters near the Krovla District. A few of them were tasked with picking up and guarding new equipment for the Scouts. However bandits and gangs were common along the road used for transferring valuable goods, so a little bit of extra security would benefit. Krovla was relatively far from our headquarters which sat nearby Trost.

It would be a day's travel if the weather was fine. Well it wasn't—the weather had no fucking business being this ridiculously hot, especially in spring. She jumped off my horse. Fingers locked, she pulled her body upwards stretching out her back. Her bones cracked relieving the soreness in her lower back.

"That sounds painful," Oruo said from atop is dark haired mare, "I, Oruo, need no such stretching for my body is young."

Y/N scowled. "Keep talking, blondie and you might just bite your tongue."

"Is that a threat?" he huffed, raising an eyebrow, arms crossed.

"It's a warning, dumbass. Get off your horse before you really hurt yourself," she said as she fanned herself under the shade.

"Ah, I guess I should." Y/N rolled her eyes, shaking her head slightly. She walked towards the stream her horse was drinking from and sat by the water. She dipped her palm in allowing the calming blue waves soothe the heat on her skin. It felt so nice. Going for a swim at this time of the day would be a luxury.

"Scheider... don't relax too much, I want to make it to Krovla before it gets any hotter," Levi reminded.

"Yes, sir. I won't take too long," she replied, looking up at the Captain. Her eyes lingered on him noticing how charmingly attractive he was with his sleeves rolled up to his elbows and a few buttons unbuttoned exposing a little bit of his chest. This slight unkempt look was refreshing on him.

"What?" he asked.

She shrugged, "Nothing, just admiring the view," she said cheekily, and pointed at the sky behind him. "The sky is very blue today, it's beautiful."

He scoffed, "Some clouds would be nice." He dabbed the sweat off his forehead with neatly a handkerchief, pushing up his dark fringe away from his face.

This guy can't get anymore attractive, Y/N, you creep. She thought to herself.

"What now?"

"Blue birds," she quickly caught herself, "Chirp chirp." Her hands stuck out from her side doing a flapping motion.

He sighed, not wanting to deal with her bullshit, "Hurry up," he ushered walking away biting back a smile.

Y/N removed her jacket, pushing up her sleeves to her elbow and cupped her hands into the water. She spalshed her face allowing her body to cool down a little bit. She felt herself comeback alive from the heat. She stood up folding the jacket neatly.

Sol huffed at her call making his way down to where she was. She stroked his neck,"Good boy, Sol," she praised. She kept her jacket in the overnight bag she packed. Stroking the side of his neck, she pulled an apple out from her bag. "Shh, it's only for you," she told him. The horse loved nothing more than apples.

"He's handsome, isn't he?" Petra asked, hands rested on her hips. Y/N looked back at her.

"Of course he is, Sol is given much love and the best care."

"I meant the Captain," Petra corrected.

"Oh," she stepped away from her horse and stood next to Petra facing the Captain who stood under the cover of trees barking orders. "You're not wrong. He's always been an attractive man. You fancy him?"

"I respect him but I wouldn't say no if the opportunity arises."

I grinned at her playfully bumping into her shoulder. "Can't agree more with you, sister. The man can cook, cleans like crazy, can kick ass, hardworking and he looks damn fine in a uniform—thats more than enough."

"That's the bare minimum, sweetheart."

"It's good to know that men like this still exist."

"Peachy."

The girls felt their shoulders sink as a pair of long arms slung over them. "If you two lovely ladies would kindly stop oogling at the Captain and get moving, that would be much appreciated," Gunther said unto their ears.

"Leave us alone, Gunther!" Petra swatted his hand off.

"It's okay your secret stays with me," he snickered, pinching his thumb and index, pulling them across his lips.

"You're so annoying," Y/N stated.

"Ey but you love me," he said arms spread open as he walked backwards and away. She stuck out her tongue at him.

"I'll see you upfront," she told Petra, taking the reins, guiding Sol back to the road. She climbed atop her horse, slowly trotting towards where the Captain was: the head of the party.

"Mind if I ask: how far more do we have to travel, Captain?" she asked.

"From this checkpoint, roughly 25 to 30 kilometres. We could reach to Krovla before lunchtime if we don't make another stop," Levi informed. He looked at her, in a low whisper he asked, "Are you doing good?"

It had been a few days since her panic attack. He could tell that she lost sleep this past few days because if it given the dark circles beneath her eyes.

"Huh? I'm okay."

"No more panic attacks?"

She shook her head. "Nope. I've got it out of my system for now at least."

"That's good to hear."

"Sorry you had to see all that." Admittedly, she was embarrassed that she had broke down in that way.

"Don't apologize for things you can't control. You did nothing wrong." He turned his horse to face the soldiers. She mouth dropped, stunned at his words.

She had learnt the hard way that some times people just don't understand what it feels like. Having panic attacks weren't common amongs the crowd she hung out with. When confronted with her panic attacks, their responses were on the line of "You're overreacting, get over it; It's not that serious." The dismissals and lack of guidance forced her to put up a wall and learn to deal with her panic attacks by herself. The excuse of having "medical problems due to bad lungs" was an easy blatant lie. She was used to apologizing for her break downs and was stunned to not hear a negative invalidation. For once in a long while, it was something that reassured her that she wasn't at fault.

She felt weird. Good weird.

"We're leaving in 5!" he barked. The soldiers brought their fists up to their hearts.

"Yes, sir!"

Less than a minute everyone was mounted and ready to leave. Levi did one last head count before leading the party at full speed towards Krovla District. She rode a few steps behind the Captain and thought to herself, "I'd ride to the end of the world if he was at the forefront leading the expedition."

She had a new found respect for the man that would stay with her till she took her last breath.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Word Count: 1190