Chapter 17

"I SAID NOT HER YOU SON OF A BITCH!" Johann roared, his blades cleaved through flesh and bone. He would not allow the soldier who showed him the sheer determination to live, fall victim to the Titans. The man never got to thank her for inspiring his courage. The severed hand fell, it's grip loosening around her body, sending her into a free fall.

"I got you now!" Hange cried as she hacked off its nape, ending it's momentary reign of terror. The Titan's large eyes rolled back into its head, its long tongue sticking out of its mouth as it fell forward with a thud, shaking the ground.

"You're alive! Oh my God! I'm alive! We're alive! Ahah!" Hange shrieked pulling Johann into a tight hug in the thick cloud of dust, dirt and hot steam.

"We're not done yet, Section Commander Hange," he informed, covering the lowere half of his face with his cape. "Y/N..."

"Y/N..." Hange repeated, the last image she had of her friend fighting to free herself. Hange had caught on to Y/N's demented behaviour. Y/N had put her life on the line to buy her the time she needed to find a way to successfully take out the Titan.

"She's alive," Johann claimed confidently, "I know she is. I cut of its arm just before you killed it." It would be foolish of them to assume she was dead. Her likelihood of her surviving a drop from 15 meters was high; but he didn't know if she was crushed by the overbearing weight of the Titan's carcass. Johann had to believe that she was. It would be wasted effort if she was given another chance to live only to have that ripped away seconds later.

"Come on we have to find her," he stressed, running towards where he had observed the hand fall up ahead. Hange and Johann knew they had to be fast as the steam only grew thicker as the carcass decomposed, disrupting their visibility, not to mention the heat which made breathing incredibly onerous.

They heard coughing and groaning from the direction they were treading in and almost immediately felt a wave of relief at the sign of her being alive. Johann felt his shoulders lightened as the two streamlined towards her direction.

Y/N's eyes flew open. It happened so quickly, she didn't have the time to process what had happened. At impact with the ground, she bounced off the carcass of an arm then the Titan's huge body swayed giving her no time to Dr as g herself to a safer spot. She curled up protecting her head with her hands, fully expecting to be crushed; but to her surprise the weight of the carcass ,though landing with a loud boom, wasn't as heavy as she thought.

It felt like being body slammed into the ground. Hurt like hell but it wasn't enough to kill.

The putrid stench of the Titan-the smell of death and rotting carcass made her her breakfast rise to her throat.

She dragged her body out from under the carcass, groaning through the pain in her body, especially her lower body. At least I have a functioning pair of arms and legs. She wiggled her toes and fingers, breathing a sigh of relief. At least I have a pair of functioning hands and legs.

"Y/N!" She heard her name being called. Her eyes lit up at her team's voice. They're alive too!

"I'm here!" She replied, leading the two towards her. The three hugged grateful that they all survived. It was a mircale they all survived, though not privy to minor injuries. They helped her up.

"Come on, let's go home," Hange said. "Can you walk?"

Y/N nodded. "It hurts like a bitch but shouldn't be too much of a problem. I lost my gear though, I might need some help getting up the wall."

"Dude, just walk in through the front gate, what the fuck?" Johann retorted. Y/N chuckled, giving him a light punch on the arm. "I'm joking, ma'am."

"You came in clutch, soldier. I wouldn't have survived without you. Thank you." She bowed her head, bringing her fist to her heart, saluting her saviour.