Chapter 18

The first few days of Y/N's recovery was a mish-mosh of chaotic confusion. There were a lot of people asking questions she couldn't answer; consequently, doctors kicking everyone who dared push their limits out the front door. The memory of the mission was a blur, it took her mind a little more than a few days to fill in the missing puzzle pieces.

When she came to it, sleeping became a bigger pain in the ass because everytime she closed her eyes, Y/N could feel the Titan's eyes staring back at her; its hot, raggedy breath blowing against her skin felt real and the inescapable heart-dropping fall made her nauseous. To say it freaked her out was a huge understatement. She had begged to doctors to allow her do some physical exercises to release that built up tension and stress forcing her body to feel so physically tired that she'd pass out-to which they threatened to strap her down if the tried anything funny.

For her own good, she was banned any physical and strenuous activities until she was fully recovered from her concussion and her body starts healing from the fractures on its own.

Two and a half weeks flew by fairly slowly, when all she could do was sit in her bed and watch the time tick. Her friends had come to visit to talk or jokingly prod at her injuries, keeping her company. Of the many, Hange and Johann came very often. The two of them sustained minor cuts, bruises and steam burns here and there, atypical of the Survey Corps. However, out of everyone, there was one person she looked forward seeing the most.

Levi would visit frequently, coming in to the let some light and fresh air in while they talked. Y/N trusted him enough to open about how the mission had affected her. The trauma of being so close to death again didn't make her feel too good. Levi would listen intently, never doubting or disregarding her feelings while giving her his unbiased thoughts. She found some comfort in that mutual understanding that they shared.

Y/N kept her window slightly ajar tonight while she read a book in the candle lit room. It was dead quiet. The crisp turn of a page, and the cackling of the midnight candle, echoed in her ears. The window squeaked open, followed by a muffled thud. Y/N looked up from her book. "It was just getting interesting, Captain," she said, her hand moving to place a pen in between the pages.

Levi rolled his eyes, wiping his hands on the clean towel she had left on the desk. "The medical wing is fucking disgusting for a place where cleanliness is essential to avoid nasty infections," he had once ranted after finding dust on every surface area visible to the eye.

"Shall I leave, then, brat?"

She quietly out the book down, pushing the blankets off. Levi raised a hand, stopping her from leaving. He dragged the chair beside the desk bringing it next to her bed. "You shouldn't move too much, let your body heal."

"Levi, I broke a few bones, it's not that serious."

"A broken rib could lead to a punctured lung, dimwit. So stay," he scolded flicking her forehead.

"Ow!"

He shushed her. "It's late, stop being so loud." She gasped, offended.

"What am I going to tell the doctors tomorrow about a red forehead?" she whispered screamed.

"Mosquito bite."

"Dead in the centre?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Dead in the centre," he repeated with no emotion on his face. In the dead, serious silence, Y/N cracked a laughter, bringing a smile to the Captain's face.

She wiped a tear from her eye using the sleeves of her medical gown. She sighed catching a breath. "I like your humour, Captain," she said.

He scoffed. "Never had anyone say that before."