Chapter 12

The sun set below the horizon, golden hour gracing the surface with its soft warm glow. The rattling of chains and impactful thuds echoed off the side of the the wooden walls. Sweat gleamed off my body as I threw another punch at the sand-stuffed burlap nag hanging from the ceiling.

The bag oscillated back and forth, my punches keeping the bob moving. Each punch was a beating to my self-deprecating thoughts. The nightmare I had two days ago felt too real. It send me back into the shit hole I crawled out of after years and years of beating the living shit out of my condescending mindset.

I threw another punch.

You know Y/N, you'll never be an eligible woman- but you'll be a great soldier one day, as damaged as you are. My father's voice rang in the back of my mind. But now, you're nothing but weak.

I won't be weak now. I lectured myself.

Sweat stung my eyes, the impact of the punches reverberated through my bones fueling my energy to carry on with my training.

You're nothing but weak.

I clenched my jaw delivering another powerful punch.

You're weak like your whore mother.

The punching back paused in mid-air, gravity doing its job, the heavy bag accelerating down. I focused my strength into my fists, composing myself.

I'm not weak. I hissed to myself, pushing away my father's demeaning words into the pits of my mind. I drew my fist back, following the approach of the back.

I won't be weak, not anymore.

I sent the bag flying across the room, with the metal chain holding in suit. I panted, finally the exhaustion catching up to me.

Clap...clap..clap

I turned back. Who had been watching? Eld, leaning against the wall, tossed a white towel.

"What the hell did that bag to do you?" he asked pushing off the wall.

"Exist," I answered jokingly as I pat the swear off my face, hot from the day's workout. "Aren't you supposed to be at your family's recovering?"

It had less than 2 weeks since his little titan mishap. Having had experienced breaking my ribs before years ago from my tender Training Corps days, it was fair to say Eld was still pretty beat up by the injury, moving—hell, breathing was difficult.

"I might be a wounded soldier, but I still have my duties as Second in command."

"Ah... of course, you broke your ribs not your wrists though I doubt the Captain will dump workload on you so soon," I said as I lugged over the heavy punching bag and propped it up against the side of the wall. Levi had stacks over paperwork to go through, Eld usually helped him oversee the paperwork and sorting it out while working on weekly reports.

"Here," he handed me an opened waterskin. I thanked him, downing the cool liquid.

"How did you know I was here anyway?"

"Petra said something about you wanting to blow off steam for the nth time this week. Your horse is busy munching on hay so I figured you were either here, the outdoor training grounds or doing some dreaded laps."

"Go figure," I mumbled to myself.

"Let's walk. The others are waiting," he said, moving his body to the side allowing me to go ahead. Dinner was right around the corner and so we headed towards the mess hall.

"How was your holiday?" Eld asked, breaking the silence.

"Meh, pretty regular, I spent my holiday here."