Chapter 22

To have the world revolve around this one simple choice...

Holding the gun barrel against her head as he was instructed to do so. He looked for something, a sense of desperation or some sign of wanting to live.

Beg, he had thought to himself. It would have been much easier to decide if she had grovelled at his feet, begging him to let her go, escape into the wild to live as her own person.

But she didn't. Make it quick, you coward, her eyes seemed to say as stared him down. Even on her knees, she seemed to tower over him, her overwhelming presence, a force he couldn't ignore.

So this is what an heir to the König name is supposed to be like, he thought. It was too bad that her execution was signed off by the man she called her father.

His finger dropped to the curve of the trigger. A taunting bead of sweat dribbled down his head. Just pull the trigger it would be over in a few seconds. Evelyn would be free...he told himself, a gentle reminder that his pregnant girlfriend was waiting for him. Her freedom from the König family's tyrannical hold was his—no, their only wish.

He'd be a traitor if he pulled the trigger... and he'd be a traitor if he didn't. Nigel got the short end of the stick in this predicament. He'd lose either way. Lose the woman he'd been desperately chasing after or the high-paying job he'd been fortunately offered.

She looks so much like Evelyn, he thought, But...with the burning tenacity of Gerhard's unwavering pride and power. Her soulless eyes burrowing deep into his mind. It would be one he wouldn't be able to forget; especially since he'd be waking up to the same set of eyes in a nice home with good food and a family to call his.

Evelyn...

"Take care of my, baby girl, Nigel. She deserves the world."

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

"What are you thinking about?" Y/N snapped her fingers infront of his face, bringing him out of his reverie.

"You look so much like your mother," he blurted out.

She rolled her eyes, "Yeah, no shit, genius, I came out of her vagina like a sack of potatoes." Her hands dropped to her hips, "Why are you talking about this? Can we please get back to the topic at hand? I'm tired and I don't want to be out here longer than I need to be."

"Right..." The two had exchanged intel upon their meeting—well Nigel did. She was still skirmish about revealing too much valuable information to him. Even though their goal was the same, years of distance had dampened her trust in him. People change; one cannot be too trusting of another.

"That kid I told you about yesterday? I'm certain he's your guy," Nigel pushed. Upon his own snooping and prying, all leads brought Nigel
to that kid. He stuck out like a sore thumb—no one knew where this kid had come from, he seemingly was left on the doorstep of the Survey Corps.

"I have yet to search his room," Y/N made clear. "I am not going to hound him without solid proof he has anything to do with the König family."

"He saved you once, Y/N! Once! And because of that you're giving him a free pass?" Nigel yelled in frustration, arms thrown up into the air.

She hissed through her teeth. "Will you keep it down?! And no, I'm not giving anybody a free pass. I said I will search his room tomorrow when they are on patrol."

"You won't find jack shit there! This whole investigation seems like a fluke and a waste of your time to me. This is your father's people we're talking about. What makes you think the mole would make it this easy for you to find out their identity?"