Chapter 11

Y/N pulled against the shackles in an effort to break the chains as the walls closed in. Feeling the cold ground beneath her feet and recalling the familiar stained walls, her heart thundered against her chest as her throat closed up restricting her airways.

"Help me!" She cried out. Her voice a desperate rasp as she struggled for air.

The shackles tightened around her wrist , the cold and wet chains pooling at her feet. Up, up and up like a snake it curled around her body, further restricting her movements. Water splashed down from above, soaking Y/N's hair and dress. She grit her teeth, looking up at the glowing white light. A dark shadow loomed over. She couldn't make out the face of the person but she had hoped they would help her get out.

A buckets full of water splashed down from above. Y/N turning her head away, eyes shut to in an effort for her senses to not be compromised. The liquid that slipped into her mouth was thick with a metallic taste.

Y/N chocked on what she deemed was blood, opening her eyes.

This time her hands were restraint around a wooden pole. Her top bare to the humid, warm, dim-litted room. The metallic taste on her tongue lingered. And the stench. It was as bad as she remembered it was. Her eyes widened realising the situation she was in, the chill on her back all too familiar.

She pulled against her restraints, in an attempt to escape, the cold shackles eating into the tender skin on her wrists; the numbness in her hands masking the pain.

The door behind swung open slamming again the wall with a loud boom.

There was nowhere to go, nowhere to run. Y/N felt her throat close up more, her ears ringing, her vision blurring.

For a moment. She couldn't breathe.

She felt her body sinking and sinking with the weight of her chains. Her chest grew tighter and tighter... She gasped for air but there was none.

There was nothing she could do but drown...

° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °
The pain in her chest woke her up in a violent jerk- the body's natural response to a near death situation. The book in her lap fell off as she kicked her legs in the air, the momentum sending her torso straight up. Cold sweat peppered her skin. Y/N clawed at her throat, gasping for air.

Levi jumped out of his seat, alerted by Y/N's sudden choking, dropping the papers in his hands. One moment she was sound asleep on the sofa in Levi's study while he quietly did his work, the next she was in a panic.

"Y/N!" Levi exclaimed. She was shaking uncontrollably as she tried the catch a breath. He rushed to her side. Y/N dodged him, not wanting anyone to see the state she was in, she stumbled towards the bathroom across the room, locking herself in.

She curled up against the door, rocking herself back and forth, mumbling, "It was just a dream, it's not real," over and over again until her mind was convinced she was safe and away from that horrible place. She dug her nails deep into her thigh. It was a comforting pain because it meant that she wasn't dreaming, that this was real.

"OI! Y/N! Open the damn door!" Levi demanded as he slammed his fist against the door, aggressively turning at the knob."I SWEAR I'LL KICK DOWN! "

"You're awake, Y/N, you're awake," she mumbled to herself, unable to hear anything else but the sound of her thundering heart.

"Scheider!"

She was quiet for a while, sucked into her mind. She had an unpleasant past, and it haunted her.

"I'm here now, the past is in the past. You're here now, Y/N," she whispered to herself holding her heavy head in her hands. "You're here now, it's fine. You're fine. You're okay," she told herself, convincing her racing heart to calm the fuck down.

"Y/N, open the fucking door," Captain Levi growled under his breath, "That's an order!" He was worried. Levi was ready to break the damn door down if he needed to. He knew of her nightmares but he had never expected her reaction to these nightmares to be this bad.

Y/N got up to her feet, walked towards the sink to wash the misery and fear off her face. The sound of flowing water, she hoped would calm the Captain down, let him know she was okay. She gripped the sides of the ceremic sink, staring into her reflection. She was pale; it looked like she had seen a ghost. She took a deep breath, composing herself. It was inevitable she had to go out there and face the music.

Levi stood at the other end, pissed as she walked out as if nothing had happened. Her face was wet, baby hairs plastered to her forehead. "The hell was that?" he asked, demanding an answer.

"I'm fine," she lied. "It was just a really bad dream."

Levi rolled his eyes, seeing through her. "Don't give me that bullshit, Scheider. I know a panic attack when I see one." No response.

She looked down at her feet, afriad to admit she was not okay. "I'll be fine. I'll survive," she lied. "I've lived with the nightmares for almost 8 years. I'll be fine," she said unconsciously wrapping her arms around herself, inching towards the door, avoiding eye contact.

Levi grabbed her by the elbow. "I'm here to talk if-"

"I don't want to talk about it, sir," she shut down, fear written in her eyes, yet another emotion he was familiar with. He loosened his grip, wanting to give her the space and rime she needed to recuperate.

He sighed, "Yes, your nightmares are a burden for you to bare, but you don't have to. As I was saying, if you ever need to, I'm here to talk."

She nodded acknowledging his kind and understanding words. But she wasn't yet ready to confront her issues. "I'm sorry," she apologized, "For being a hassle, sir. I'll leave now."

"None taken. You did nothing wrong."

She forced a small smile, grateful for Levi's compassion. She knew she wouldn't be able to hide her problems forever but she didn't know how to approach the conversation of her past without feeling the intense barrage of guilt and embarassment.

"Wait, Y/N,", Levi stopped her as she was about to open the door.

"Hmm?"

Levi walked to his desk, his fingers trailing on a piece of paper. He took a seat and drew his attention back to her.

"And I told you, brat, it's just Levi."

Her lips upturned into a small smile. "See you soon, Levi," she bid taking her leave, leaving Levi alone with his thoughts wondering what kind of horrors she had seen to put her in such a distraught.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Word count: 1162