Chapter 8

The group smade it back to their residence exhausted but eager for dinner. Dinner after reconnaissances, from what Y/N was told was always slightly more fulfilling compared to dinner on normal days. It was both a reward for those who came back alive and a time to commemorate the memories of their fallen soldiers and friends.

Y/N walked into the mess hall, her stomach grumbling, begging for food. The atmosphere was thick with grieve and horror but at the same time there was a wind of laughter and joy as the soldiers shared stories and habits of their late friends.  She sat down beside Petra who was waiting for the rest to come.

The group talked amongst themselves as they ate. The playful banter between Oruo, Petra and Gunther, Y/N occasionally inputting her thoughts and Levi as usual, just listening and watching with seemingly no emotion, made it feel unusually normal.

Though it felt unsettling, she came to realize that her squad has seen many cycles of the Scouts ; people coming, dying or leaving, and repeat. They had become numb to the feeling of loss— and anger for these losses drive them to continue to pave a way to Humanity's freedom from the Titan's. There was something so courageous about that yet so heart-wrenching.

Gunther cleared his throat noticing how Y/N was more quiet than usual. "So, Y/N, how's Eld doing?" He asked breaking her line of thought. Levi looked up from his plate of food, curious about the well-being of his second-in-command.

"Hmm the doctor said that he has a couple of broken ribs and would take months to heal up. So no flying around and swinging blades like a hero until then," she relayed.

"That's good to hear. As talented as he is, he needs to be more careful. We almost lost him today we're it not for you guys," Petra said looking towards Y/N, Gunther and the Captain, with a  grateful smile across her lips.

"Yeah man, I'm gonna have to give him an earful about safety when the bastard comes back," Gunther grumbled.

"You all should be more alert on missions," Levi added, "Eld's near death was a close call, too close for my liking. Let it be the last."

"Yes, sir," the group replied in unison. Levi although stone cold on the outside occasionally opened up to his squad. He cared about them more than the world thinks and they knew that deep down.

Petra sighed changing the topic to elevate the atmosphere. "So you guys have plans for your week off?"

Y/N had thought about it earlier. Erwin decided to give his subordinates some time off to relax and recover, whether it be physically, mentally, or both after their tireless work and journey. He believed it was essential to keeping his team sane. They were all human after all.

Y/N was honestly a very dull person. She didn't have much to do or places to travel or people to meet. The idea of having a day off had seemed somewhat foreign to her. Her 'days off' were usually spent doing what she does on a regular routine day at her own pace.

"I don't have anything planned to be honest... would sleeping for 2 days straight count as a plan?"

"Tch. What a terrible plan," Levi criticized. Y/N squint her eyes in annoyance.

"What about you, Captain? Do you have any plans?" She retorted, resting her chin on her palm.

"Paperwork." This man... She didn't understand how he kept his poker face throughout the entire dinner.

"Fun," she sarcastically replied, turning her attention to Oruo. "And you, Oruo? What are you up to?"

"I've actually been thinking of visiting my family," he hinted, pushing around the potatoes and peas on his plate. "I haven't seen them in a while. It would ease them to know I'm alive." Gunther and Petra agreed. The three of them looked to their Captain, a silent request.

"Do as you wish. It's your holiday, brats. Just be back on time." The three relaxed at the approval from the Captain. Petra nudged Y/N.

"You come with me if you'd like," she proposed. "I wrote to my father about you, and he really likes you. He expressed that he'd like to introduce you to my elder brother one day."

"I'll pass," Y/N  said stretching back,  "Besides isn't Elias, what? 17?"

"You have a problem with younger men?" Gunther pried, being a younger male himself.

"No, I don't have a problem with younger men. It's just that I'm in my mid 20s... 17 isn't exactly an appropriate age for adults to date."

"YOU'RE OLDER THAN ME?" Oruo asked, shocked, pulling at his blond locks, disregarding what she had imposed.

"I'm older than all of you lot except for the Captain. Do I not look the part?" Her finger making a circle around her face. Oruo shook his head in disbelief.

"Maybe it's because you're short," Gunther snickered. Oruo paled, elbowing him on his side. Gunther felt his heart stop as he realized what he had implied and the two pairs of eyes shooting daggers at him. Gunther cleared his throat, pretending to not acknowledge the death glares.

"Nonetheless, I'm going to skip out on meeting your family for now. I don't want to interrupt your family time," She said."Besides, I've got Captain Fun-Guy over there to keep me company. What could go wrong?"

Petra yanked her closer, "Do you want to die a horrible death?" She seethed, aware that Levi had heard each and every word clearly.

"Honestly, he'd probably make me clean to death," Y/N whispered back, a playful grin on her face. "I'll survive." Petra punched her arm.

"Let's call it a day, shall we?. Clean up, get some rest, see you next week, you little shits," said Levi, placing the empty teacup down. The team wished their Captain a good night and were off on their last duties for the day dishes and clearing the table.

The four worked together to put everything away neatly and wiped the table down. The night ended in loud peals of laughter as the four fooled around in the kitchen helping the kitchen staff clean up, teasing Gunther for almost getting his head bitten off by the devil himself for making that joke. 

They walked back to their residence together enjoying the cool night, thankful for each other's company.

"Be sure to visit Eld before y'all go home," Y/N reminded.

"Eh he'll bask in the sun in joy of having a moments of piece wtih not seeing us for a few days," Oruo joked, earning a chuckle from his friends. "But seriously though I'll make sure to  bring him some of tonight's lovely roast for breakfast."

"Alright then, I'm going to pass out for 2 days straight, I'll see you guys in a week."

"Aight, don't give the Captain too hard of a time," Petra said.

"Goodnight, sleep tight, don't let the Titan's bite" Gunther wished. Y/N shook her head closing her room door behind her. She quickly cleaned herself up and stood by the desk admiring the moon—the same moon she hoped her family was seeing.

"I live another day, I hope you're proud," she whispered to herself before crawling into bed and allowing her body and mind to just crash after a long and stressful day.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Word count: 1246

I'm sure we've all been there after a long ass day just fucken passed out like a rock. If you've had a long day GO REST YOU DESERVE IT BITCH

 If you've had a long day GO REST YOU DESERVE IT BITCH

Xx alex