38

I group call my A-Team while sitting on the ledge of the tub

I group call my A-Team while sitting on the ledge of the tub. It has five faucets. Water streams out of each like a fountain. I pour essential oils into the bath. One by one, they enter the chat. "How is it?"

"I bet it's super colorful; send pictures!"

"Good, you got there in one piece. Take anti-acids in case you get nauseous."

"You okay, princess?"

"Yeah, I'm okay, dad. I don't think there are any anti-acids here. I recorded a vid. I'll make a group chat and send it. This place is insane! There's a literal servant robot in my room."

"How very high-tech!" My mom praises.

"Which dress are you wearing tonight?"

"The beige bikini with the skirt."

"Ooohhh, Yass!" Jess cheers.

"Do you feel safe? If anything feels wrong..."

"Dad, I'm safe. Jace isn't a killer."

"Your father will never trust any man you get with. It's his job. So, where is he? Are you two sharing a room?"

"He's in his office working, and no, I have my own room."

"Hmm... separate rooms," Mom mumbles. "That's nice of him."

"Because he respects her," Lil adds.

"How long will you be staying?" My father is the only one who's critical.

"I'm not sure yet; there's no set date."

"Dear, stay as long as you can. Not just for him, but for yourself. You need a vacation. No one deserves it more than you. I bet you're so at ease."

"I am," I admit. I am at ease. Everything is so serene, so peaceful. The thrashing sea outside my room summons me. I leave the tub's ledge and to open the window. "You guys have to see the view from the bathroom." I yank at the edge, then tap along the frame. "That's if the window opens." I chortle. I go on tapping before remembering the snap. I rub my thumb and index finger together. The glass of the window inverts to the side. A greenhouse, freshwater scent flows in. I go to my camera and take a photo, then send it.

"Oh wow, wow!" My mom yells.

"That must look amazing at night. Curl your hair and wear rose gold jewelry." Lil orders. "Be the beach!"

"Will do." I hurry over to the tub to twist off its faucets before I flood the bathroom. "I gotta go. I'll update you guys later with pics. Bye."

I soak and scrub for 30 minutes. My eyes can't stop staring out the window, so a few more minutes are added. I sit in the water, viewing the gentle waves and the high sun beaming on white sand.

When I get out, I search around for a shower to rinse off. There's a bare wall about ten feet long. I go to it and do the tapping method in random places. I'm unlucky. "Where is the shower?!" I fuss and pat harder.