6

For the next few days, Lily and I go on a strict diet for our skin routine

For the next few days, Lily and I go on a strict diet for our skin routine. We eat two salads a day, drink only water and tea, and get our beauty sleep. Meaning I can't sext late at night.

Our beauty care includes Clinique blackhead solution, which works for pores and doubles as a cleanse and a mask. Aloe Vera, glycolic acid, almond oil, and expensive ass sunscreen. Lancôme AquaGel, a primer, moisturizer, and SPF 50 all in one. The total is over $250 at Macy's checkout. "Are you sure we can't just go to Walmart?" I ask.

"The pricy shit works...a lot of those Walmart products still have scrubbing beads, which is horrible. We'll see a huge difference using these." She digs into her black crossbody bag. "Also, I'm using credit." A Tinder notification bings from my phone, but I don't rush to answer it. Lil swipes her card and side-eyes me. "Are you still icing him out?"

"Umm...no, I'm just doing damage control."

"Sounds like you are. It's not Brad's fault you jumped his bones. Maddy, you can't freeze him out."

"I know..."

"He definitely wants sex now."

"No, he doesn't. Brad hasn't said that."

"He's being nice, that's why."

"I got it under control. He's just another one of my sext guys since I messed up a normal date."

On the way out of the overpriced store, we descend the mall escalators and stroll past shops. Consumers run in and out with loaded hands and swinging bags. We pass a corner store full of sweets, boba tea, chips, and candy. I damn near slobber at the deliciousness. "Look away; we're doing good." Lil takes me by the chin and shifts my head forward.

"How about just one cookie?" I grumble.

"Nope, leave that toxic shit alone. Did you know that sugar shuts down cells in your brain? I'll send you a video to scare you straight."

Instead of spending a night alone, I go to Jessica's place. She has the table set with Chicken Alfredo, veggie platters, and organic cranberry juice, without the heaps of sugar. "I made a little cheat meal to celebrate y'all skincare achievement." Jess points to the Alfredo.

"Oh no, it's not healthy?" Lil groans.

"I used reduced cheese; the pasta is full of carbs, though."

My eyes lock on the steaming pasta. The fact that it's not entirely healthy makes me want it more. "We can eat it, Lil. It's not like it's chocolate and ice cream." My tastebuds inflame at the mention of these sweets.

"I guess..." When we take our seats, a buzz jiggles my back pocket. "Answer that boy; he'll never stop if you don't."

I stubbornly tighten my lips. "Not yet. I want to reset what happened."

"Babe, please tell her she can't undo grinding on someone?"

Jessica nods while adding food to a plate. "You can't. Once you feel someone, there's nothing you can do about it."