33

"So?" Lil asks once we're on crowded sidewalks

"That was too soon..."

"How?"

"It just was..."

"What happened?"

"Can you not?!" I snap.

"Whoa...what the hell is up?!"

"Letting y'all pump me up to speak to him was a mistake."

"Hey...no one made you talk to him tonight, so stop with that. We gave input. You opened your own mouth. If you want us to ban Jace from your life, just say it!" Lil's legs dash past me faster than I can blink.

"I was doing fine before. Y'all convinced me to give him a chance. He's not even single."

Lil walks backward. "Alright, that's that. Why keep talking about him??"

"Because he brought up how disposable women are. He's what I assumed he was. I was right all along; you were wrong."

"Those women were in it for sex, Madison. I doubt he compared you to them."

"Even if he sees me differently, how long until I get the same treatment?"

"I don't get how you're this judgmental??! Did Tinder screw up your head that much? All guys aren't out for sex. If Jace were, you would be out of his life. He wouldn't be giving a fuck about you! Geez, what is your problem?"

"I'm trusting my gut..."

"Alright, that's settled. Let's drop it."

"Even Brad got restless and wanted sex...as nice as he was in the beginning."

Lil steps toward me. "You can't avoid it, Maddy. I don't think you know what dating involves. It's not the olden days where men court you for years! Sex happens. I get you're waiting, but you can't plan it out. Sorry...but that's the truth! You have to be realistic; love doesn't work like a fairytale!"

"I'm aware of that!" I glare. "I'm sure there are men out there who would wait!"

"Okay...then go for one and stop fussing over the timeframe. If you keep that up, you'll never be with anyone." She pines. "Maddy, drop your standards and go with the flow. That's all you can do."

"I'm not being picky. I tried with Brad."

"Then try again. That's how it works! Stop letting your ex fuck up your world!"

I shut my eyes and wince so hard that my entire body trembles. "He...tried to rape me..." I squeeze my eyes so tightly that there are patches of white behind my lids.

"WHAT??!!"

"I can't date anyone." My voice weakens.

"Maddy, what did you just say?! Open your eyes; look at me!" I bury my face in my hands. "Maddy??" Her arms ram around me. "OH, MY GOD! WHAT THE FUCK?!"