23

The expo is background noise

The expo is background noise. I don't care about revolutionary machinery anymore. I don't care to even enjoy Jace on the screen. The call ended all my interest. I focus on my hands and channel the anger surging within. How could he be so dumb? I'm seeing him and no one else. How could he be that mean to me??

I thought he would understand...but he made his own narrative. I hate him! Why would he think that low of me? Why would he hurt me like that? If he loves me...he needs to act like it.

I brood until the sun sets. The strawberry orange sky hold patchy clouds. The muffled ocean writhes. The captivating scenery removes me from reality and into a wonderland. The mansion is high off the ground. It overlooks the beach. I strain my neck as far as possible to see how low it drops. I'm unable to see past the wrap-around deck.

There's a recap of all the expo announcements on the TV. There were 25 in total; each is on a ranked list.

"Now, the sea-pactor has to go as number one as groundbreaking, but there are some doozies." The broadcaster laughs harshly. "The pfilter is, of course, last on the list. It has a horrible design, way too bulky, and will affect the environment worse than actual plastic!" The guy is riled up about this. "But, let me not get ahead of myself. The ranking will continue right after these sponsored messages." A Tesla commercial plays on the screen.

The room's door pulls inward. Helen comes in with dinner. Spaghetti, cheesy broccoli, steak, and a slice of freshly baked bread. She sets up a dinner tray across my lap. When the food is placed atop it, she asks, "would you care for a drink?"

"Yes, I could use some wine." I give a half smile.

"Mr. Harrison will be in shortly." When she exits, I put my hair down, swoop it behind my shoulders. Then tend to my face. There's not much I can do since there are no face wipes. I rub my eye area in case there's crust, then use a napkin to pat my face. I sigh.

There's nothing much I can do with these bandages. I check the smell of my breath. I'm good. The sound of footsteps from the hall sends my nerves into a spiral. I breathe heavily. My eyes watch the door apprehensively. My heart hums like a trapped bird.

"Thank you, Helen." I hear Jace outside the door. I twiddle my thumbs hastily and adjust my hair once more before picking up a fork. The sound of the swinging door is intimidating. I keep my eyes on the plate of food. As for my breathing, I try to control it, but the monitor plays the culprit. Its high tone echoes the room. "I thought you were getting better?" His dress shoes tap the floor. Jace walks to the front of the bed and halts.

I glance at him for less than a second; his concerned voice matches his expression. "I am."

"The monitor says otherwise. I'll call my doctors."

"No, I'm okay." I hold eye contact this time. Jace's emerald eyes blink once. He has two glasses of wine in his hands. "I'm just not sure what happened, that's all." I labor my breathing to tame the monitor.