15

Lily's eyes are outraged and baffled

Lily's eyes are outraged and baffled. She steps my way; her gaze falling on the cash. "Why did he give you money?"

"I don't know."

"Maddy, people just don't give out dough for nothing."

"I said, I don't know...."

"You have to. What did you two talk about?" Her doubtful tone infuriates me.

"We talked about his favorite drink."

"And?"

"His job, my job, it was just chitchat."

"Maddy, that doesn't explain $500. There's more to it than that. Did he ask you for something?"

"Just my name."

"Anything else?"

I huff. "No, Lil."

"I'm just trying to make sense of this. Guys only pay girls for pleasure. Jace had to imply this."

"Wow, Lil...he didn't imply being a sugar daddy."

"Judging by the green, he did."

"Look, just drop it. Let's close up. I'm tired; I just want the night over. Did you call Brad?"

"I thought you wanted nothing to do with Jace. Why did you talk to him?" I pace around the bar and begin closing the gate. I abruptly hold it still. I forgot the cash. I look at the five bills on the counter and contemplate whether I should accept it without knowing why. Did Jace dish it out to initiate me into a sugar baby contract? If so, he was so vague about it.

Then again, I'm not in a position to pass up the money. Money I got without an effort. It's odd to earn it without working for it.

"Don't be dumb...take it." Lil waves her hand to it. I swoop under the gate and snatch it, then proceed rolling it down. After cleaning, Lily waits with me until my ride comes. I know she's investigating what happened by how quiet she is. Her thoughtfulness is clear on her face; all's that missing is the pacing around bit. While she's too busy being Sherlock Holmes, I call Brad.

I feel bad...even though I did nothing wrong. I feel like I somehow cheated on him. When he picks up, he says, "Hey, sweetheart," in a chipper tone.

"Hi, hon, I missed you."

"Not as much as I missed you."

"Oh, really?" My Uber drives up to the curb. I turn to look at my bestie, who's still analyzing the cash. "It's nothing, Lil. See you tomorrow." I wave, then open the car door.

"What's nothing?"

"Umm...it's work-related. How was your day?" I close the door and buckle up as the car steers into crammed traffic.

"I'm living the life; dog walking is the best job ever."

"Yeah, I know, you're racking up just by taking a stroll. I wish my job was like that."