19

Why did Jace send me flowers? Why? First, the $500; now a romantic gesture? I don't get it

Why did Jace send me flowers? Why? First, the $500; now a romantic gesture? I don't get it. Is he trying to get me into an arrangement like Lil thought? If so, I'm not interested. I won't be another one of his trophies. I won't be on his long list of women.

I gaze at the elegant card, then get my heart rate under control by meditating. I don't need any more excitement. Just ignore the flowers. That's what I need to do. Although, the peonies glow like the enchanted rose from Beauty and the Beast. I'm captured by their splendor like a moth to flame. No...look away!

I look to the side at a long sofa and a single chair to find no one. Where did Brad go? It's as if my question is answered by the universe. The door opens. He enters, carrying a bag of what looks like clothes. "Hey, feeling better?"

"Yeah...what's in the bag?" I ask while I hide the card under the sheet draped over me. There's no need for drama right now.

"Lil picked some things out for you since you're here for a while."

"2 weeks and counting."

"The doc said you're lucky to be alive; you're being called a miracle."

"I don't feel like one," I add sourly.

"I think you are. You jumped out of a moving car, and I still have you. That's a miracle."

"Well...when you put it like that, it sounds like one. What did Lil pack?"

"I have no clue; she did it quick, then left to get coffee and doughnuts." Brad walks to me with the bag. I try to open it, but my arms go flimsy from the amount of strength it takes. Brad does it for me. Inside are underwear, pads, mouthwash, face wipes, a blanket, and a pillow.

"Looks like she brought my whole place."

"Do you want your blanket?"

"No, I'm good."

Brad ties up the bag and then puts it in the nearest corner. "Oh...the tv. We need to keep up with the chase." He searches for the remote and finds it on the side of the chair. He turns on a box tv that's far and high in the corner. "Last I checked, the trail was still cold. There's a local hunt tonight."

"A hunt?"

"Yeah, locals are assisting the police...you should see all the gifts left outside for you. Candles, posters, flowers. It honestly looks like a shrine." My boyfriend notices the peonies. "But I guess you already know that judging by those."

On TV, there's a news report about a TikTok Choking challenge. "Another trend has turned deadly. A TikTok challenge to measure lung longevity has led to five people dying just last night." The black and white app logo is displayed. "Once again, TikTok has allowed a fatal challenge to go unchecked and reach millions. So far, there is no lawsuit from the individual families, but there is outrage. Their loved ones wonder why certain contests aren't banned by their hashtag." A woman asserts gravely. "I hope there is some change. I also hope others will heed the risk of following such a trend."