11

Beatrix

"So what did the bitch say? Damn it- I'm sorry. Lemme be respectful. What did Vonna say?" I asked as soon as Liberty got back into the car.

"Lemme cool off first and talk about my convo with Amy. Me and her definitely are gonna chill when she gets out. That's my bitch for life. Her parent's are making her a GoFundMe though. She explained everything," Liberty said.

"Now, Vonna," I pressed her.

"Fine," Liberty rolled her eyes. I pulled out of the station lot since we both nonverbally agreed we felt uncomfortable parked next to Carmela Zion's vehicle. "I basically told her to let our relationship be open or she could leave," Liberty said with a little smile; something telling me she had a little bit more up her sleeve.

"What? You got mad at her for basically cheating. Then you want her to have free range on any chick that she wants?"

"Not her," Liberty said mysteriously, "Me."

"You?" I said slowly, "I'm confused."

"I can act single this whole summer and she has to deal with it since she wanted to break my trust in her. If she doesn't like it- she can leave. When the school year starts back up and we're still together- if we are -then we go back to the regular shit we had before. She, on the other hand, can not enjoy these privileges that I've set upon myself."

"Not gonna lie. This sounds like some wild shit."

"Let it be. She embarrassed me and took shit here, so now this is what's up."

"I wish I could have been more like you when it came to stuff like this," I admitted softly. "Maybe I wouldn't have been hurt as bad."

"Are you okay?" she asked, gently. "From back at the station and earlier today?"

"I've had better moments," I sighed. "I'm sorry you had to see that side of me twice today," I apologized.

"It's because of Vonna," Liberty said and I didn't argue with her. "What set you off...earlier at the cafe today?" Liberty asked after a moment.

"The whole nickname thing," I gulped, slowing at a red light to a stop. "That's what Vonna used to call me." I closed my eyes for a couple of seconds then popped them back open. "A lot of pain comes with being around her."

"Is it hard being my friend?"

"Very. But I do it for you," I looked over at her, giving her a small smile when she caught my eye.

"You're hurting yourself for your best friend," she stated. "Why?" she searched my face with her eyes.

I broke eye contact, and kept on driving once the light turned green.