10

Liberty

We arrived at the police station and I instantly recognized the SUV we were parked next to. Damn this packed parking lot. I had enjoyed a lot of memories in that vehicle, but in the recent weeks, they had been pretty rocky.

"You sure there aren't anymore open spots? We're next to Vonna's mom's SUV," I told Beatrix.

"It's fine. If she fucks up my shit, I fuck her up," Beatrix said seriously, then shot me a smirk, "Sorry if I badmouthed your future mother-in-law in front of you."

"Honestly," I told her, "I don't really care right now."

We headed inside of the building, waited to be called up, and met Vonna in an interrogation styled room.

"You don't look the same in handcuffs anymore," Beatrix commented, looking at Vonna with an amused expression. "How does it feel to finally be in the position I was? At least somewhat?" Beatrix stood up from her chair and walked around the table, her body shaking, the only sign of her anger amidst her otherwise cold demeanor. "How do you think I felt, being the one who was abused, having to be locked up just because I sent you a few scary letters and fucked up your mother's stupid car?"

Vonna stared up at Beatrix, not saying a word.

I sat down across from her, my hands fiddling with each other. I felt so torn. So, so torn.

"All because of mommy's influence, I was too afraid to speak up," my best friend scoffed, turning away. "I wanna do a lot," her voice shook, "I really do." Her gaze found mine, "But I control myself because of her. For Liberty's sake."

"That's my girl you're talking ab-

"So now you can talk!" Beatrix flipped back around.

"I didn't have anything else to say to you Beatrix."

Beatrix looked like she was ready to snap. "I gotta go Liberty. I'll be in the car." She left the room without another word, sucking all of the air out of it. Vonna turned towards me, and I felt small and helpless like a child. Is this...the Vonna everyone had been warning me about? The one who looks like she feels powerful in this moment, everywhere but in her eyes.

I can see her weakness.

Her need for control and certainty.

"I'm not scared of you," I chuckled. I got up and stood besides her. She looked up at me, just as she had done Beatrix. Not with hatred, but with confusion. "What did that girl possess for you to want to fuck things up between me and you? No merit? No care for the world? A sweet, innocent personality? A pussy she's willing to give to everybody? Was she more beautiful? Was she more of a freak? Or...was she just anything. Anything but your loyal girlfriend? Your loyal girlfriend who trusted you," I put my finger in her face, "despite what everybody else preached."

I held my hand up when she tried to respond.

"Aht. Everybody around town already knows about this bullshit. So tell your mama she don't need to press the cops about keeping shit quiet, since that's all you care about." I held my hand up in her face again as she tried to start up. "And to top this off, you couldn't even win the fight with Amy? That's pathetic as fuck. How you gonna beat on somebody then lose a fucking fight. That's pathetic, bruh."

"Liberty, I-

"This should be the end of us," I shook my head, "but I'm giving you one more motherfucking chance, Von. But we doing shit my way this time. This is my summer to enjoy. I'm finna be a senior next year, damn near an adult and next summer isn't gonna be like ones I've ever had before. Who knows if it'll be complete hell or not, so I I won't miss out on any fun this one. I won't," I chuckled, holding her chin up. "I get to do whatever I want. And you won't stop me. This relationship will be open for me and only me. Now, if you wanna break up with me, that's fine. I'm just telling you how shit finna run. This is your punishment. You get to watch your girlfriend act single and be on her hot girl shit."

"I don't have to agree to that," Vonna stated, her expression filled with anger and turmoil.

"Then you don't have to stay," I got in her face. "We ain't sign a fucking contract. I'm doing yo bitch ass a favor- I've put up with enough of your BS. So either take it, or fucking leave it, pussy," I crossed my arms, staring her down.

"I can't believe this," she mumbled to herself, looking down at her lap. "Where is all this coming from, huh?" She looked back up at me, her eyes filled with confusion again. "From Beatrix?"

"I hate when you play the victim. It makes you look ugly," I tsked, walking out of the room.

"Beatrix is the one who's trouble! Not me!"

I let the door shut in my girlfriend's face.