12

Liberty

My mother lets me spend the night at Beatrix's, probably seeing how stressed out I am. We both literally walked past each other with the same expression- hers because of the new boutique, mine because of all this Vonna drama.

"It's cool how you gotta crib all to yourself. Why did you get emancipated?" I asked curiously. I had never really asked before because it wasn't something she seemed to like to talk about.

"Reasons," she said stiffly, "I don't really want to talk about it."

"Oh. I understand," I said simply.

I immediately went up to her bedroom and picked up a controller.

"Hey, hey," she teased, plopping down on her bed next to me. "What?" I pouted a little. I glanced over at her. We were two best friends, dressed like "little boys", with childish personalities.

"I'm glad you're my friend, Beatrix. And I don't mean it just because you've helped me out a lot. Everything about you makes me glad that you're my friend," I told her genuinely.

"Thanks. But I still wanna know what you told my boss," she smirked. "His expression, man."

"Ahh, just go along with it the next time you're at work," I laughed.

"I can't believe you're taking her back," Beatrix rolled over on the bed. "I mean, I'm sorry but I really can't believe that, Liberty."

"If she really cares about me then this summer will go by smoothly. I think my plan is excellent."

"Okay.." Beatrix said, her tone letting me know that she thought otherwise.

"If it doesn't, you can tell me I told you so and I won't bat a eye."

"I'll hold you to it. I guarantee you'll probably punch me," she stated.

The next morning, I woke up in Beatrix's arms. I carefully moved her off of me and sat on the edge of her bed, rubbing my hand across the crust by my eyes. Last night was one hell of a night: I found out my girlfriend and my friend fought, Beatrix almost kissed me, and Vonna and Amy went to jail.

After we had settled into our sleeping clothes, we had played on the game for a little bit but we were both exhausted so we ended up being knocked out until late morning. Beatrix will only have a couple of hours until the start of her shift, and I've already decided I need some structure in my day so I'll go to work too today.

Now that I had my life together somewhat, I got off the bed and started getting my stuff together for work at Mr. Cherry's.

"Liberty," Beatrix mumbled in her sleep, starting to wake and sit up.

"Shhh. I'm just getting ready."

Her thumb found her mouth, and she went back to sleep. I got some clothes together and pulled out my work apron. I knew I had made a good call on bringing my apron in case I had work.

After I was all showered and dressed, I came out the bathroom to find Beatrix awake and groggy.

"Is it cool if I take your car to work?" I asked.

"It'll make more sense if I just drop you off then come back here. What time is it?" She pulled out her phone and stared at it for a moment. "Yeah. I'll just drop you off and come back here to sleep more."

"You feeling okay?" I asked lightly.

I knew yesterday had been just as filled with turmoil for her as it had been for me. "Yeah. Just exhausted. I think we stayed up too late," she said.

My phone vibrated on the bed and I reached towards it to pick it up. Beatrix grabbed my wrist gently, "If it says something bad, don't stress too much, okay?"

I picked up my phone, moving her hand off mine.

"Why would it say something bad? Did you do something?"

"No, no. I'm just saying," she sighed heavily, "as far as all this Vonna drama and rumors. Today's a new day but people are always gonna be stuck on old shit."

"Thanks."

I unlocked my phone and went to my Messages.

"Vonna's out," I informed Beatrix. "Amy should be in a few hours. Nobody decided to press charges. A certain person's mom made sure both of their records came out clean."

"Well, that's a pro and a con," Beatrix said sarcastically.

"Should I be going over to Vonna's? Do I even wanna talk to her right now?" I sat back on Beatrix's bed.

"It's all up to you, buttercup," Beatrix cracked me a smile. "You know where I stand on all things Vonna. And you know how your friends feel too. We're the wrong people to ask for advice concerning that girl."

"You're right." She honestly was.

I'm the only one who's rooting for Vonna and I.

Maybe Vonna had some sense of knowing that it really was the world against me and her. That seemed like that way of thinking was the backbone to her personality. Everybody out to get somebody. But it makes me wonder if that's all in her head.

"C'mon. Get dressed. I don't wanna hear Mr. Cherry bitching," I slapped Beatrix's ass.

"Ouu. Tight, ain't it?"

"Gay ass motherfu-

Boom. Boom. Boom.

"Who the fuck is that beating on my door?"

I followed after Beatrix as she marched down the stairs to the front door. I peeked out the window as she cracked the door open. Vonna's mother's SUV. That could only mean two things: either it was my girlfriend's mother or it was-

"Vonna?" Beatrix opened the door.

"Is Liberty here?" Vonna asked aggressively.

I went and hid out of the front door's view.

"No," Beatrix said confidently.

I stored that away in my brain. Beatrix could be a good liar if she wanted to be. That could mean a lot of things concerning our friendship.

"Stay the fuck away from my girlfriend," Vonna growled.

"Or what?" Beatrix asked slowly, something dangerous in her tone.

I heard the sound of feet moving quick. I peeked my head out to see Beatrix and Vonna shoving at each other. Should I come out of hiding and make this look like something more happened between me and Vonna? Or should I stay on the sidelines- watching my girlfriend and best friend fight. Beatrix pushed Vonna to the ground, right outside her front door.

"That all you got? You're still weak."

"I'm not weak anymore, Vonna," Beatrix said with a new strength in her voice.

"Why are you doing this? Are you trying to get at Liberty because me and you weren't compatible," Vonna switched tactics. "Are you trying to make me jealous because you still have feelings for me?" she taunted her ex.

"I wouldn't even piss in your direction, Vonna. I'll never have an ounce of emotion or feeling towards you besides anger, annoyance, and irritation," Beatrix said venomously:

"Why are you still in Aster Waters? Why are you my girlfriend's best friend, supposedly? Why hang onto old things: You did your jail time, and you still can't learn-

They got to scuffling again but this time Vonna held Beatrix's wrist tightly. She didn't even look like she was breaking a sweat as she twisted it and twisted it.

"I could break every bone in your body if I wanted to," Vonna got up in her face; my best friend's eyes watering in pain, "But I won't. You stay away from my girlfriend, I'll stay the fuck away from you. I hope she fucking knows who you really are while you tryna get with my girl."

"And who am I really, Vonna?" Beatrix stared her down. Vonna let go of her wrist, giving her a look of disgust.

"A pussy, a coward, and obsessed."