28

Liberty

I hate, hate, hate being stuck at home!

Vonna's blowing up my phone, arguing with me about the fact that I'm at Beatrix's, the rest of my friends are actually siding with Vonna on this, and I just wish I could understand why my best friend is leading the life that she is.

I get it. I'm a fucking cheater. I have feelings for Beatrix that I'm working on denying, I've fucked her- I've done honestly too much with her. But this time around, my friends and Vonna are wrong: I'm not trying to get with her and have the both of them, I'm trying to protect my life.

I'm trying to protect them.

I guess this is my karma for being a little whore.

I got up and found something in Beatrix's fridge to eat. She was at work, probably suffering, and I wouldn't enjoy any face to face human interaction until around eight when she gets home.

My phone rang on the couch but I ignored it. I'm tired of coming up with excuses as to why I can't leave Beatrix's. Let them think I stayed the whole week to get slutted out. I just hate that this had to happen when Vonna and I were building something new together. Our relationship is definitely going to shit now, all because I couldn't resist myself out in the town.

Bam. Bam.

"Who is it?" I called out.

I grabbed a knife out of the drawer. I know that Beatrix said her house should be the safest place to be, but with if Chad and his guys got through the defenses? Then what? I know I'm no match for them giant ass mother fuckers, but at least I know I'd hold my own until the end.

I looked through the peephole and only saw Vonna.

I opened the door and she barged inside.

"Beatrix!" she hollered. "Beatrix!"

I closed the door behind her, trying to stop her as she marched through the house, looking for any place my best friend could be hiding.

"She's not here-

"I don't believe that!" she shouted, still looking.

Once she realized that Beatrix was indeed not here, huffing, she turned to look at me. "You got fucking forty five seconds to explain everything, Liberty."

I trembled in front of her, not in fear, but because I could see her starting to lose the love for me. I could see her slowly pulling away. But this was real time, and I could lose her more quickly than I expect.

I told Vonna everything, afraid to look her in the eyes. To see whatever harsh emotion might lay there.

"I don't know if I believe you."

My gaze snapped up to hers, anger flaring up inside of me. I was another person now. I was furious. "I've spent the last twenty something hours holed up here behind some bullshit that yes, I got myself into, and you're gonna freaking sit up here and tell me you don't believe me?" I marched back to the living, going through my things. "I don't know what proof I could show you, Vonna. I really don't know. Do you wanna see the guys Beatrix has stationed around here?"

"The only guys that I think have been around are the ones who've probably fucked you. I think you and Beatrix took this little excuse to use as a week for love making and getting away from your problems while the rest of us live life," Vonna said accusingly.

"I don't know what to tell you. It sounds outrageous, but it's true," I threw up my hands in defeat.

"Jeredine and Amy mentioned seeing a bunch of cars driving by lately," Vonna said after a moment.
"And there's two cars that like to sit about a block from my house. They switch out every hour."

"You believe me now?" I asked, "Hell, I'm not paying somebody to do that shit."

"If all of this is true, why wouldn't I have noticed that Beatrix was some sort of drug dealer back when her and I went out?"

"Maybe she was real good at hiding it, or maybe she wasn't doing this when y'all were together. I don't know, but you can go and drive by the damn factory yourself. They might not let you in the back but-

"Okay," Vonna sighed, holding her hands on the top of her head, "so where's Beatrix now? Finding this dude? Channing? Carl? Cameron? What the hell was his name?"

"Chad. And she's at work as far as I know."

"Wait, I thought she worked at the theater?"

"Cover up job apparently. She doesn't know that I know everything and quite frankly, I don't know if I can completely trust her, so keep your lips shut."

"Excuse me for thinking you had yours open. This is all wild," Vonna gave me a half assed apology, sighing. "I'm sorry, Liberty."

"All we can do is figure out how we finna move forward," I said, sitting back on the couch.

"We should probably start with Rocky and Chad. He's supposed to be in charge of 'eliminating Chad' as Beatrix has put it."