But tomorrow brought a different news that completely changed our lives even more. The days after tomorrow did the same... Hanggang sa dumating na nga sa araw na malaking balita na ang nalaman ko. I heard it from Calli--Aria's sister--that it was supposed to be a secret but since I'm responsible for whatever Sandria might found out, I had to know early.

It was the news that broke me. Her getting married to someone else used to be one of my worst nightmares before when I was young. But now, after everything, I can see that it may be for the best for her.

I tapped my fingers on the table as I waited for Aria. I have something to give her. Papers that she needs to sign in regards to Sandria. Kagaya ng pinag-usapan namin... I already talked to a lawyer and discussed everything else. She only needs to review and sign them, then afterwards, she's free to take our daughter anywhere she likes.

Unfortunately, her fiance came here a little bit too early than she could.

We already talked about what's important. But now, I think I'd like to add one more thing. "You know what..." I exhaled after the long silence that we have here in this table.

"If something happens to me in the future... If I had an accident or something, and I could be in the most fatal condition, I would be much happier to go knowing that you will be with her and my daughter than any other man out there."

His brows furrowed. Bumuntong hininga siya at napatango-tango. "Your daughter might hate you if that will happen. I don't have plans to take her place in your life."

Hindi na ako sumagot pa at inubos nalang ang sariling kape. Hindi nagtagal ay dumating na rin si Aria. She asked him to leave us for a while and thankfully Ashen did. This is after all, for confidential purposes.

I watched her as she took his place on the chair right in front of me and began signing the papers. She looks stunning more than ever. Despite the engagement ring in her hand, she still looks more astounding to stare at. It's always been unavoidable for me.

Ilang minuto pa ang lumipas ay binaba na niya ang ballpen. She held her eyes up to me and cleared her throat.

"There's... There's something I wanted to give you."

She bended down and took a slightly large box inside her bag. She handed it me. Kumunot ang noo ko at pinagmasdan iyon. There's a bit of heaviness to it and it's gift wrapped. There's even a ribbon above it too. I confusedly looked at her.

"A gift? Ikaw ang ikakasal, Aria... I should be the one giving you a gift."

She chuckled. I felt myself smiling as I watch her laugh a bit. I've always loved her laugh. It made her more beautiful... It used to brought meaning to most of my days in the past--

Once I've realized what I was thinking, I immediately looked away from her and stopped my thoughts. Inalis ko ang ngiti ko sa labi at napalunok. Frustration started to fill me. This is getting so hard for me and I hope she notices that. How could I ever get over you, Aria Solace? I will be lying to myself if I say to that I even have plans to do that.

I might never be able to.

"Open it," she murmured then handed me scissors.

Mas lalo pang kumunot ang noo ko sa kanya pero sinunod ko nalang gusto niya. I opened the box carefully, and to only end up staring at a glass. "A glass? Sisidlan para sa tubig, Aria?"

She shook her head. "It's a jar, Rhysand..." her eyes dropped on the things that I just took out and smiled. "An empty jar."

"Consider this as my gift to you, for being my best friend back then." She handed me a pen and pieces of small papers inside another smaller box. "You are to note down moments in your life. But only within those moments that you are in love. Iyan 'yung sabi sa directions tungkol diyan..."

My mouth was left parted. I glanced at the empty jar and realized how familiar it was to me. "Is this... Was this the thing that... Aria, I can't. No. Walang silbi sakin 'to. I have nothing to do with this..."

She just shook her head. "Keep it for me. One day, you'll learn to appreciate that."

Kinuha na niya ang bag niya at tumayo mula sa pwesto. She gave me her final glance and a small smile. "The next time we stare at each other's eyes for a long time, Rhy. I hope you've already moved on since the goodbyes we had in the past." she said then walked away.

Pinagmasdan ko ang sasakyan nila mula sa labas. They're on their way to get Sandria from school. And I should be going somewhere too... at a center university near the coastline to pass my application in hopes that I might continue College again. Pero hindi ko magawang makatayo ngayon. I just stared at the jar in awe.

I felt my tears slowly trickled down my face remembering what she said before she left. I wasn't sure why I was feeling this, or for what purpose. But I now believe that there's a reason for everything and I just have to rely on that... wherever the reason might take me.

I took a deep breath. Sumandal ako sa kinauupuan ko at tumingin sa itaas I slowly closed my eyes and let my tears fall for a moment. And for the shortest moment, I was in peace.

***

a/n:

Compass Series #2 is up! The next book is entitled "Sand Petals" covering the continuation of Rhysand's story! You can already see it in my profile. See you there!

-kimsyzygy