Chapter 5

Millions of thoughts swirl around my head as I restlessly lay in bed. We were having such a good night, why did he pull apart that kiss? He seemed like he was into me…oh Mari, what were you thinking? Of course he wouldn’t be that into you. He probably didn’t even want to kiss me; I made the first move after all. He’s a huge pop star that could have any movie star or model that he wants and I'm just a small town girl he met. Without warning, I feel a single tear escape the corner of my eye. No Mari, you’re NOT crying over him! I quickly wipe the tear away and turn over to the other side of my bed, trying to get comfortable. No matter how hard it may be, I just need to forget about him.

Liam’s POV

I drive home with my hands clenched tightly around the steering wheel, gritting my teeth with anger. Why the hell did I do that? I got what I wanted, Mari kissed me! So why did I have to go be stupid and break it and leave? I really like her, but I don’t want to move so quickly into a relationship. Our kiss was magical, but I know that if I kept kissing her I wouldn’t be able to stop and she’d think I’m too clingy. I’ve always had that problem with previous relationships, always jumping in too fast and having my heart broken too soon. I'm going to let that happen with Mari. I finally arrive back to my flat and immediately go to bed. As I lay there in silence I can’t seem to get her out of my head. I really hope she doesn’t hate me or think that I don’t like her.

*The next day*

Marielle’s POV

Another day of work is the last thing I need right now. As I make my way down the street, I swear I see Liam walking on the opposite side of the street. Oops, no that’s just a guy who looks like him…not as cute as him though. Ugh I need to forget about him, he’s probably already forgotten about me.

Half way through my shift, I take a seat behind the register and greet incoming customers, growing sleepier by the minute. I barely got 4 hours of sleep last night thanks to a certain asshole. Oh great another Liam look-alike is walking into the store…oh shit that's actually him! I slightly jump out of my seat as he cautiously looks around the store. Is he looking for me? There’s no way I’m talking to him right now! I sneakily try to escape to the back room, and as I look behind me to make sure he can't see me I run into a very hard chest.

“Oh, I’m very sorry sir, I didn’t mean….” I begin to say before looking up to see the one person I'm trying to avoid. I quickly back up and look at the floor, folding my arms across my chest.

“Hello, Marielle.” He says nervously, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

“Hi…can I help you look for something?” I look up again but make no eye contact with him. Even though I don't want to talk to him I still need to act professional. 

“No, I was really hoping I could talk to you for a minute.”

“I believe you said everything that you needed to last night.” I said flatly, turning on my heel and making my way to one of the tables with the sweaters and absentmindedly folding them. He's quick to follow me and keeps trying to get me to look at him but I refuse, one look into his beautiful eyes and I know I will cave in.

“Mari, please…” he begs quietly, trying to take my hand. I instantly get out of his grip and walk back to the register, trying to make it clear that I don't want to talk to him.

“Liam, I’m working right now. Please leave…now.” I spin on my heel to face him and he quickly stops only inches from me. My expression is stern and cold and I can see a hint of sadness in his eyes. I hope he now he knows how I felt last night.

“Okay…” he says quietly, turning towards the door. I watch him sternly as he leaves and as I begin to see him turning back to give me one last look I look away as if I don't care. I hear the door open and close and I let out a huge sigh, propping my elbows on the table and putting my head in my hands.

I'm surprised he actually showed up here and I'm equally surprised at myself for showing enough strength to ignore him. I try to brush the feeling of pain and confusion off as I continue my last few hours of work, but all I can think about is the guy with the brown eyes who a part of me wants to forgive.

It's finally time to walk home, so I check my phone as I walk to pass the time. I have about 5 missed calls from Liam before he sneak attacked me at work and a few texts from him about 20 minutes ago. I open the messages and the last one reads “We really need to talk please.” As mad as I am at him, I'm a little curious to know why he left last night, maybe it can offer some kind of closure on this confusing thing we have. I keep fighting myself on whether I should text him back, and the yes side wins. “Ok…be at my place in 30 minutes” I reply. I don't want to be that weak naive girl that always gives into a guy, but there’s some ambiguity that I need resolved. I slide my phone back into my pocket as I open the door to my apartment. I let out a huge sigh as I prepare myself for what's to come.